Skip to main content

Teampull Tharain Taransay Inverness-shire Scotland

Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:

Notes on the chapels and burial sites on Tarasaigh/Taransay and Stewart of Loscintire [Losgaintir/Luskentyre], 8 July 1870

Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/19
Scope and Contents Notes on the chapels and burial sites on Tarasaigh/Taransay, describing the beauty of Chè Temple [Teampull Chè/St Keith's Chapel], its construction, dimensions and situation and that its graveyard is still a burying place. He describes the stream which separates Cille Chè and Cladh Charain [Cladh Tharain/St Taran's graveyard] as being there in winter but dry in summer 'its bed covered over with docken'. Of St Taran's he notes, 'St Caran ruins by houses above & horse & cattle fanks...
Dates: 8 July 1870

Notes relating to Taransay, 7 July 1870

Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/4
Scope and Contents Notes relating to Tarasaigh/Taransay including that Norman MacLeod mac Calum is a 'good story and Oss[ian] reciter' registered on Taransay's poor roll but living in Steòrnabhagh/Stornoway [Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis], listing a number of sites of possible archaeological interest such as Aird-nan-Ceallc, Tobar Chè, Cladh Chè and Cladh Charain, noting that Cè was a Tighearna [Lord] but Caran an unknown. He also notes that Uamh mhic Cailein or Ailein [Uamh Mhic Ailein] is about ten yeards...
Dates: 7 July 1870

Story and notes about burials and archaeological finds on Tarasaigh/Taransay, 8 July 1870

Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/12
Scope and Contents Story and notes about burials and archaeological finds on Tarasaigh/Taransay telling how a large, thick skull with a piece cut out of the back of it as if by a sword was seen at Teamp[ull] Charrain or Tharrain [Teampull Tharain/St Tarran's Chapel]. He describes the skull and a large skeleton found near it. He records how men and women were buried separately, the men at Teampull Tharrain and the women at Teamp[ull] Che [Teampull Chè] although the two places are fifty yards apart. The story...
Dates: 8 July 1870