Skip to main content

Edinburgh, Scotland

 Subject
Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source

Found in 784 Collections and/or Records:

Bristo Square

 Item — Box Box 7 of 9: Series Coll-1167/B
Identifier: Coll-1167/B/31/28
Scope and Contents From the Sub-Series: A series of a random selection of prints, many appear to be duplicate copies of other images, relating to Edinburgh, Scotland and elsewhere which were added to the teaching collection at the Outlook Tower at some point after Patrick Geddes' death and before 1990. Some are marked and are therefore copyright of W. Reid; Balmain Photographers, Edinburgh; and The Scotsman - some of these may belong in Coll-1167/C/2
Dates: c 1910 - c 1985

Bristo Street, c 1985

 Item — Box Box 3 of 9: Series Coll-1167/B
Identifier: Coll-1167/B/27/17/2
Scope and Contents Photograph looking north from the north end of Charles Street into Bristo Place (with buildings on both sides, still standing 1989) and to the Outlook Tower beyond (very faint). The McEwan Hall and Teviot Place are on the left. The old buildings were demolished for Univeristy of Edinburgh development c. 1960-1970, and for the building of the new main road (Potterow). Coll-1167/B/27/17/2-5 form an almost continuous sequence showing the east side of Bristo street, with Marshall Street at right...
Dates: c 1985

Bristo Street, c 1989

 Item — Box Box 7 of 9: Series Coll-1167/B
Identifier: Coll-1167/B/30/29
Scope and Contents Small duplicate photographic print of Coll-1167/B/27/17/2 showing view looking north from the north end of Charles Street into Bristo Place.
Dates: c 1989

Bristo Street, c 1890-c 1910

 Item — Box Box 2 of 7: Series Coll-1167/B
Identifier: Coll-1167/B/26/17/2
Scope and Contents Photograph looking north from the north end of Charles Street into Bristo Place (with buildings on both sides, still standing 1989) and to the Outlook Tower beyond (very faint). The McEwan Hall and Teviot Place are on the left. The old buildings were demolished for Univeristy of Edinburgh development c. 1960-1970, and for the building of the new main road (Potterow). Coll-1167/B/26/17/2-5 form an almost continuous sequence showing the east side of Bristo street, with Marshall Street at right...
Dates: c 1890-c 1910

Bristo Street, southern section, c 1985

 Item — Box Box 3 of 9: Series Coll-1167/B
Identifier: Coll-1167/B/27/17/4
Scope and Contents The junction of Bristo Street, on the left, and Charles Street, on the right leading to George Square. Bristo Street ran diagonally across the Charles Street car park from Bristo Square (a new development, c. 1980) to the north end of Chapel Street. It was a main road, now replaced by the new Potterow. The drysalter's shop on the left was in existence until the demolition of the street (c. 1970?). "Parker's Corner" on the right shows the building as it was (c. 1910) before the opening of a...
Dates: c 1985

Bristo Street, southern section, c 1890-c 1910

 Item — Box Box 2 of 7: Series Coll-1167/B
Identifier: Coll-1167/B/26/17/4
Scope and Contents The junction of Bristo Street, on the left, and Charles Street, on the right leading to George Square. Bristo Street ran diagonally across the Charles Street car park from Bristo Square (a new development, c. 1980) to the north end of Chapel Street. It was a main road, now replaced by the new Potterow. The drysalter's shop on the left was in existence until the demolition of the street (c. 1970?). "Parker's Corner" on the right shows the building as it was (c. 1910) before the opening of a...
Dates: c 1890-c 1910

Brown's Close, Canongate, c 1985

 Item — Box Box 1 of 9: Series Coll-1167/B
Identifier: Coll-1167/B/27/5/22
Scope and Contents North side of the Canongate. Skinner notes this lane as "Brown's Court" and shows a very similar photograp with a posed figure at the bottom of the staircase, and a garment hanging above, but they are not the same pictures. The entrance to the close was almost opposite Bull's Close. A man stands leaning against the banister at the bottom of the staircase. Laundry hangs from a washing line between two buildings. Handwritten title on the original envelope containing the corresponding glass plate...
Dates: c 1985

Brown's Close, Canongate, c 1890-c 1910

 Item — Box Box 1 of 7: Series Coll-1167/B
Identifier: Coll-1167/B/26/5/22
Scope and Contents North side of the Canongate. Skinner notes this lane as "Brown's Court" and shows a very similar photograp with a posed figure at the bottom of the staircase, and a garment hanging above, but they are not the same pictures. The entrance to the close was almost opposite Bull's Close. A man stands leaning against the banister at the bottom of the staircase. Laundry hangs from a washing line between two buildings. Handwritten title by Alasdair Geddes. A print of this glass plate negative was...
Dates: c 1890-c 1910

Buccleuch Parish Church, c 1985

 Item — Box Box 3 of 9: Series Coll-1167/B
Identifier: Coll-1167/B/27/18/8
Scope and Contents Buccleuch Parish Church. Church on the right, Buccleuch Place beyond, looking south. This building is in Chapel Street, east of George Square beyond Windmill Lane. It is not open and is the property of the University of Edinburgh. It was built as a Chapel of East in 1755. Handwritten title on the original envelope containing the corresponding glass plate negatives was written by R. Dykes. Old container: Green Box 100
Dates: c 1985

Buccleuch Parish Church, c 1985

 Item — Box Box 3 of 9: Series Coll-1167/B
Identifier: Coll-1167/B/27/18/9
Scope and Contents The inscription on the original envelope containing the corresponding negative read "Deaconess Hospital" but negatives have previously been mis-placed in incorrect envelopes. It is more likely that the correct title comes from another envelope (originally Green Box, negative 86) titled "Near Bristo Street" which, although not very accurate, could apply here. Handwritten title on the original envelope containing the corresponding glass plate negatives was written by R. Dykes.
Dates: c 1985