Skip to main content

Edinburgh, Scotland

 Subject
Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source

Found in 784 Collections and/or Records:

Buccleuch Parish Church, c 1890-c 1910

 Item — Box Box 6 of 7: Series Coll-1167/B
Identifier: Coll-1167/B/26/18/8
Scope and Contents Buccleuch Parish Church. Church on the right, Buccleuch Place beyond, looking south. This building is in Chapel Street, east of George Square beyond Windmill Lane. It is not open and is the property of the University of Edinburgh. It was built as a Chapel of East in 1755. Handwritten title by R. Dykes. Old container: Green Box 100
Dates: c 1890-c 1910

Buccleuch Parish Church, c 1890-c 1910

 Item — Box Box 2 of 7: Series Coll-1167/B
Identifier: Coll-1167/B/26/18/9
Scope and Contents The inscription on the original envelope containing this negative read "Deaconess Hospital" but negatives have previously been mis-placed in incorrect envelopes. It is more likely that the correct title comes from another envelope (originally Green Box, negative 86) titled "Near Bristo Street" which, although not very accurate, could apply here. Handwritten title by R. Dykes.
Dates: c 1890-c 1910

Buccleuch Place, looking east, c 1985

 Item — Box Box 3 of 9: Series Coll-1167/B
Identifier: Coll-1167/B/27/18/6
Scope and Contents Looking east towards Salisbury Crags. See subsequent images in this series. Handwritten title on the original envelope containing the corresponding glass plate negatives was written by Alasdair Geddes. A print from the corresponding glass plate negative was included in the "Higher Education Developments" section of Geddes' replacement "Cities and Town Planning Exibition". See Coll-1167/B/23
Dates: c 1985

Buccleuch Place, looking east, c 1890-c 1910

 Item — Box Box 2 of 7: Series Coll-1167/B
Identifier: Coll-1167/B/26/18/6
Scope and Contents Looking east towards Salisbury Crags. See subsequent images in this series. Handwritten title by Alasdair Geddes. A print from this glass plate negative was included in the "Higher Education Developments" section of Geddes' replacement "Cities and Town Planning Exibition". See Coll-1167/B/23
Dates: c 1890-c 1910

Buccleuch Place, north back, c 1985

 Item — Box Box 3 of 9: Series Coll-1167/B
Identifier: Coll-1167/B/27/18/7
Scope and Contents Identified as the north side of Buccleuch Place, in part the site of the David Hume Tower. The school may have been in the building on the left or the title written by Alasdair Geddes may be wrong. The confusion has been made worse because some of the corresponding negatives have at some stage been placed incorrectly within their envelopes. See prints Coll-1167/B/27/18/9 and Coll-1167/B/27/19/7, where there is a reference to the Deaconess Hospital. The old Buccleuch Parish School (the building...
Dates: c 1985

Buccleuch Place, north back, c 1890-c 1910

 Item — Box Box 2 of 7: Series Coll-1167/B
Identifier: Coll-1167/B/26/18/7
Scope and Contents Identified as the north side of Buccleuch Place, in part the site of the David Hume Tower. The school may have been in the building on the left or the title written by Alasdair Geddes may be wrong. The confusion has been made worse because some negatives have at some stage been put in the wrong envelopes. See prints Coll-1167/B/26/18/9 and Coll-1167/B/26/19/7, where there is a reference to the Deaconess Hospital. The old Buccleuch Parish School (the building still stands, 1989) is to the west...
Dates: c 1890-c 1910

Bull's Close, Canongate, c 1985

 Item — Box Box 1 of 9: Series Coll-1167/B
Identifier: Coll-1167/B/27/5/14
Scope and Contents Looking south towards Salisbury Crags. The warehouse of Holyrood Brewery is on the right side of the picture. This building appears to be in existence (1989) at the Holyrood Road end of the Close. Part of brewery site about to be redeveloped (1991). Site for the Scottish Parliament building 1998. See Coll-1167/B/27/4/1, entitled "Old Fishmarket Close, High Street" which may have been confused with the photograph of this site. A print from the corresponding glass plate negative was included in...
Dates: c 1985

Bull's Close, Canongate, c 1890-c 1910

 Item — Box Box 6 of 7: Series Coll-1167/B
Identifier: Coll-1167/B/26/5/14
Scope and Contents Looking south towards Salisbury Crags. The warehouse of Holyrood Brewery is on the right side of the picture. This building appears to be in existence (1989) at the Holyrood Road end of the Close. Part of brewery site about to be redeveloped (1991). Site for the Scottish Parliament building 1998. See Coll-1167/B/26/4/1, entitled "Old Fishmarket Close, High Street" which may have been confused with the photograph of this site. A print from this glass plate negative was included in the "Monuments...
Dates: c 1890-c 1910

Calton Hill, c 1985

 Item — Box Box 3 of 9: Series Coll-1167/B
Identifier: Coll-1167/B/27/16/7
Scope and Contents Calton Hill Road turns sharply to the left, Rock House would probably be beyond the pavement to the extreme right.
Dates: c 1985

Calton Hill, c 1985

 Item — Box Box 3 of 9: Series Coll-1167/B
Identifier: Coll-1167/B/27/16/8
Scope and Contents Calton Hill Road. Possibly the back of some of the buildings shown in Coll-1167/B/27/16/7, but identification is difficult. This whole area has been demolished, except for Rock House. Handwritten title on the original envelope containing the corresponding glass plate negatives was written by R. Dykes.
Dates: c 1985