Subject Source: SssScope Note: Created For = CW
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael. Written on the inside front cover is '2/9 1870. Oban' and on the flyleaf is '[deleted: Twas] Friday 2 Sep[tember]. 1870. 12 noon from Ob[an]'. Folios 1-3r and 75r to 117v are blank. The text on folio 3v and 4r and 4v is written updside down and is later text (29 January 1875). The contents are in two distinct sections, the first being material collected on Lios Mòr/Lismore and the second being material collected in South Uist. Much of the...
Dates: 2 September 1870 to 7 October 1875
Scope and Contents Note probably collected from Donald MacColl [foxhunter, Glencreran, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] that there were [wooden] holy statues or images of Curalan [St Cyril], Calum Cille [St Columba] and St Moluag kept in the church on Cuirralan [Beinn Churalain], Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] which were destroyed by 'sgampeoran' [scamps] who came to a bad end as a result and that there was a castle on top of Beinn Chuirailain [Beinn Churalain].
Dates: 29 August 1883
Scope and Contents Note entitled 'S[aint] Brendan' with a verse about Saint Brendan beginning 'Chuirear Bruanain Domhal Dubh, Is faid an la n diugh nan de' and a note that Saint Moluag was a disciple of Brendan's, that Lugadius and Moluc are alternatives for Moluag, that St Moluag's Day is 25 June, that he died in 592 AD and that Moluag founded 'Mortlach Muirthilleauch in the vale of the Fiddich' [Mòrthlach/Mortlach and Gleann Fhiodhaich/Glen Fiddich, both Siorrachd Bhanbh/Banffshire].
Scope and Contents Story about the burning of the wooden holy images or statues [of saints Columba, Moluag and Cyril/Curalan] by local young men possibly collected from Mary Carmichael, aged 71, Druimavuic, Glencreran [Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire]. An old woman at Leitir-ru-Altain [Letterwalton, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] called out to Cuirralain [Curalan/St Cyril] and he appeared before her and said, 'Mas duil leat an duine sin cuimich a lamh.' The woman took the breid (kertch) from her head and bound the...
Dates: 29 August 1883
Scope and Contents Story collected from Duncan Carmichael on the boat from An t-Òban/Oban to Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire about the saints connected to Lismore, telling how Calumcille, Moaluag and Ordhean [Calum Cille/Columba, Moluag and Oran] were brothers who were competing for the possession of Lismore. Moluag won by cutting his finger off and throwing it to shore and consequently Calum Cille went to Iona. It also tells of Oran's burial alive and how on the fourth day after he'd been buried,...
Dates: 2 September 1870
Scope and Contents Story relating to Teampull Bholley [Teampull Mholuaidh, Eòropaidh/Eoropie, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis] and 'An Groey' probably collected from Angus Gunn, cottar, Dail bho Thuath/North Dell, Nis/Ness, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis. He describes how Pollaig [Moluag] built the temple to include an echo but that he had no roof. While asleep he heard a voice telling him to go to Tràigh Sheannta [Traigh Shanndaigh], which he did and then oak was washed ashore which made a roof without using nails:...
Dates: 27 October 1873