Skip to main content

Tales

 Subject
Subject Source: Sss
Scope Note: Created For = CW

Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:

Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael, c1868 to 16 June 1876

 Series
Identifier: Coll-97/CW150
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael containing primarily songs and stories collected in Miùghlaigh/Mingulay, Barraigh/Barra, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist and Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis. The main informants are Roderick MacNeil or Ruairidh an Rùma from Mingulay and Penelope MacLellan of Ormacleit/Ormaclete. The bulk of the material from MacNeil relates to the southernmost islands of the Hebrides and covers topics such as bird-fowling, the island way of life, place-names,...
Dates: c1868 to 16 June 1876

Note about Eaglais na h-Aoi, 29 August 1868

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW150/4
Scope and Contents Note collected from Angus MacAulay, aged 82, An Cnoc/Knock, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis about Eaglais na h-Aoi [Eaglais na h-Aoidhe] that it is the oldest church and burying place in the Isle of Lewis and is connected with St Columba. Also notes that John Wylie [built it], that he had a house in Stornoway [Steòrnabhagh] and that he was one of the people who had come from Fife [Fiobha].
Dates: 29 August 1868

Notes and stories on Clan MacLeod, 29 August 1868

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW150/3
Scope and Contents Notes and stories on Clan MacLeod of Lewis ['Clann 'ic Leòid 'ic Thorcuil'] collected from Aonas Mac Aulay [Angus MacAulay], aged 82, Croc na h-Aoi, [An Cnoc/Knock, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis]. MacAulay describes how 16 or 18 members of the clan are buried 'under the stone at Aoi' [Eaglais na h-Aoidhe] having been killed by Iain Garbh in Iain Wylie's house in Stornoway [Steòrnabhagh]. The last of this clan was said to be a small crofter called Calum MacLeoid mac Thor[cuil] ic Leoid whose...
Dates: 29 August 1868