Subject Source: SssScope Note: Created For = CW
Found in 1040 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Archaeological note and story about the Carradh in Bearnary [Beàrnaraigh/Berneray] stating that it had writing on it which no one could read except one priest by the name of Ailein Donullach [Allan MacDonald] who could speak twelve languages. The story tells how a crew of fishermen who were stranded on Berneray amused themselves 'by shaking the carradh pillar to and fro. They threw it down and over the pre[cipice] and the pillar which stood the storm of ages was broken in three "halves" "tri...
Scope and Contents Archaeological note entitled 'Hoilisgeir' [possibly Trolaisgeir/Trollasker, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist], which reads 'Remains of house eye of Kiln + fire place (sorn) + dyke on top of Pabby Harris 50 acres lost.' [Pabbay, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris]. The note also states that there is lime on ruins at Kildonan [Cill Donnain, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist] and that a Mrs Macgill[ivra]y said she saw it when she was a 'lassie' and that it had 'tangles sticking out'. A cook at Milton [Àirigh Mhuilinn]...
Dates: November 1873
Scope and Contents Archaeological note relating to a stone found on Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula by Archibald MacRury, Bailevanaich [Baile Mhanaich/Balivanich] described as being a small stone with a hole and found in the strand at half-tide 'just below tunga' that summer at Ua Oirisy Mianaish an underground cave between Roisnish and Scarigleoid [Uamh Orasaigh Mheanais, Orasaigh, Meanais, Ròisnis/Rossinish and Sgaraileòd]. There is also a sketch of the stone. MacRury also states that he 'Got bra [quern] found at...
Dates: 29 August 1870
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes about duns and accompanying story about Dun Bhuilg. Written transversely across the second page of text is 'See p 140' [folio 70.]
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes and sketchs of Dun Loch an duin and Sinedal [Dùn Loch an Dùin and Sionadail Tarasaigh/Taransay] describing how Dùn Loch an Dùin is 'a round dun on a small lake with a clachan straight to it' and as being 'up & entire within the mem[ory] of people living'. The sketches show it in profile and in plan, noting some of its dimensions. The sketch of Sionadail notes a small mill or millstone and the measurements of a raised cross on the upper stone.
Dates: 9 July 1870
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on ancient chapels written at Keallun [Ceallan/Kallin, Griomasaigh/Grimsay] including that there is a fine view from from it and that this must be the chapel to which Martin Martin refers as there is no chapel on Rona [Rònaigh/Ronay]. Carmichael states that as Martin Martin only spoke of one chapel, the chapel and burying ground pointed out cannot have been in existence two hundred years before when Martin was writing. He refers to it as the Lowlanders Chapel and states...
Dates: 24 May 1870
Archaeological notes on Crois-Ch-Chille [Crois Chaluim Chille] and Tobar C-Chille [Tobar Chaluim Chille], 1867
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on Crois-Ch-Chille and Tobar C-Chille [Crois Chaluim Chille/Columba's Cross and Tobar Chaluim Chille/Columba's Well, Beàrnaraigh/Berneray], noting the height of the cross and the position of an altar next to it and a leab-a-chràidh [leabaidh c] composed of two stones one of which was where Calum Cille prayed and the other where he slept. He notes that this was when Calum Cille consecrated the burial place. Tobar Chaluim Chille is described as a font rather than a well as it...
Archaeological notes on Kildonan and accompanying notes on Flora MacDonald and her husband, 24 May 1870
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on Kildonan [Cill Donnain, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist]. The various sites relating to St Donain are described as Eilean Donain or Isle Donain, which is where the saint's house was, the house being '50 x 26 feet with several surrounding ruins' and the island itself being 70 yards long by 50 yards wide. Cladh Donain [Cille Dhonnain] is described as a peninsula separated from Eilean Donain by another island, the relative distances being noted, and containing a ruined chapel and...
Dates: 24 May 1870
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on Loch Sgadavagh Isle [Loch Sgadabhagh, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] including a sketch plan of the ruins there with their dimensions, noting that there is a place for the boat at the door an destimating the age [of ruins] to be two or three hundred years old. Carmichael states that the loch is named after the island of Scadabhagh which is 'low, green & flat' and notes that thick heather or eilteach grows there. He adds that there is a pillar about five feet high at...
Archaeological notes, sketches and story relating to Teampull An Tao Deas or Teampuil an t Sagairt, 12 July1870
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes, sketches and story relating to Teampull An Tao Deas or Teampuil an t Sagairt, [Teampull an Taobh Deas/Teampull an t-Sagairt Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris]. The first sketch shows a plan of the building with measurements, noting the height of the wall as 7 feet, the breadth 10 feet and the height of the door out 5 feet. Also noted re the dimensions of the altar. A second sketch is a copy plan, with a scaled attached to it. The measurements have not been written on this and it...
Dates: 12 July1870