Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Tales

 Subject
Subject Source: Sss
Scope Note: Created For = CW

Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:

Field notebook of Alexander Carmichael, 15 July 1870 to 19 October 1871

 Series
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael, inscribed on the inside cover with 'Alexander A Carmichael Inland Revenue Lochmaddy N[orth] Uist 15/7 1870 Note Book No 8'. The majority of this notebook contains material collected on Tarasaigh/Taransay from the MacDonalds at Paible House, Mor or Marion MacQueen and Donald MacKinnon including notes on the island's archaeology, local history and geographical changes, with stories of how coastal erosion revealed burial sites and renditions of the...

Note about the use of horse and cow hair in bedding, 20 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/162
Scope and Contents Note collected from Alexander MacDonald, Cladach Chirceboist/Claddach Kirkibost, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist which reads 'Covers and blankets of horse & cows hair were the common bed clothes in Uist ri linn a Mhoraire Bhain' [in Am Morair Bàn's time].

Story about Am Morair Ban visiting the temple at Cairinis, 23 March 1869

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW107/30
Scope and Contents Story about the Morair Ban [Am Morair Bàn or Sir Alexander MacDonald], who when visiting North Uist [Uibhist a Tuath] asked an old, intelligent man called 'Gillean mac Gillean' to visit the temple at Cairinis [Carinish] with him. When he asked Gillean when the temple was built he replied that it was 476 years ago and looked in a red book in his pocket and confirmed it. The builder was the second wife of the MacDonalds of the day daughter of MacDugall of Lorn.

Story about how kelp-making came to North Uist, 20 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/165
Scope and Contents Story collected from Alexander MacDonald, Cladach Chirceboist/Claddach Kirkibost, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist about how kelp-making came to North Uist. The story tells how when Am Moraire Ban [Am Morair Bàn] came to North Uist he brought his wife, three children and factor, called Kingsburgh, and they lived at Sollas [Solas]. They met a crofter at Bailemhartain whose animals were emaciated whereupon Kingsburgh told the man that Lady MacDonald had come among the Uist tentantry for assistance to...

Story about Mac Thomais building part of Teampull na Trionaid, 20 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/161
Scope and Contents Story collected from Alexander MacDonald, Cladach Chirceboist/Claddach Kirkibost, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist which tells how Mac Thomais [Mac Thòmais] came home and built the west gable of the Temple [Teampull na Trionaid/Temple of the Trinity]. He meant to reroof the building too but Moraire Ban [Morair Bàn] would not let him. He adds that 'Sgeir ioc Thomais (?Ceiseam) is below the Temple' [Sgeir ic Coiseam].

Story about Sir Seumas Ruadh and Am Morar Ban, 14 July 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/97
Scope and Contents Story probably collected from Margaret MacDonald, Malacleit/Malaclete, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist about Sir Seumas Ruadh and Am Morar Ban [Sir James MacDonald and Alexander MacDonald] that Sir Seumas's sons had 'robbed the peinteals of the sons of Somhairle Ban' and beaten them up causing Somhairle to flee to Ireland.The story continues that it was after Sir Seumas's time that the land was taken from 'MacCuinn Oirisy' [MacQueen of Orasaigh/Orasay] but it was not taken by his brother Am Morar...