Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Tales

 Subject
Subject Source: Sss
Scope Note: Created For = CW

Found in 1040 Collections and/or Records:

An t-Eilean Uaine, late 19th-early 20th century

 Series
Identifier: Coll-97/CW392
Scope and Contents Gaelic tale, headed 'An t-Eilean Uaine' (The Island of Mull).

There are additional extracts of a tale headed 'The Melodeous Lady Ford' included on the verso side of two of the pages.

Archaeological and historical notes on Caisteal Bhuiri and Clanranald, 18 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/137
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes on Caisteal Bhuiri [Caisteal Bhuirgh/Borve Castle, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula] and Clanranald. Among the notes it is stated that Raol mac Alein [Raghnall mac Ailein] was the last to inhabit Caisteal Bhuirgh and that he added the porch and extended the west side of it. The castle was originally built on a sgeir mhara and Biorlain mac ic Ailein [Clanranald's birlinn] was anchored 'in a poll' to the east side of it. After that, children used to swim there. In...

Archaeological and historical notes on Teampul na Trianaid, 18 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/134
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes on Teampul na Trianaid collected from John Mac Innon [John MacKinnon], Carnish [Teampull na Trionaid, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] including that it was built by Nin Mhic Dhuil Latharna [Nighean Mhic Dhùghaill, a daughter of MacDougall of Lorn] who went around building in different places to leave a name behind her. MacKinnon recalls seeing charred wood on top of the temple as a result of wood being burnt across Scotland in one night 'the...

Archaeological and historical notes on the construction of Teampull na Trionaid, 18 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/136
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes collected from John MacKinnon, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist on the construction of Teampull na Trionaid. Included in the details are that the gable of the building fell down after people dug at the foundations to get the flagstone which were there. A man known as Uilleam Clachair, possibly William Paterson, who came from Assaint a Tua [Asainte/Assynt, Cataibh/Sutherland] to work at Baile Raghnaill/Balranald and Baile nan Caileach/Nunton...

Archaeological and natural history notes on Pabaigh/Pabbay, 1867

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/26
Scope and Contents Archaeological and natural history notes on Pabaigh/Pabbay, describing a circle about a cave there called Cearcal Teinteanach [An Cearcall] where 'The coruscations of the sea flashing about the circle make it appear like sparks of fire flying from the circle.' A 'large cave' of 'unknown length' and 'most difficult to find' is described as being below this circle. Ashes were found in the cave. Carmichael records that he spoke to someone who knew where the cave was, who said that his 'very small...

Archaeological note about a skeleton and Tobar Che, 10 July 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/63
Scope and Contents Archaeological note about a skeleton which was found 'in a sit[tin]g pos[i]t[ion] stuck in a cleft of a rock s[outh] of Tear Che or Cherun' [Tobar Chè, Tarasaigh/Taransay] and that Tobar Chè 'is ab[ou]t 55 y[ar]ds due w[est] covered over with a face it goes back 60 or 70 f[ee]t'.

Archaeological note about Aird Niseboast and accompanying sketch and stories about MacLeod of Harris and Campbells of Taransay, 11 July 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/70
Scope and Contents Archaeological note about Aird Niseboast [Àird Niosabost, Na Hearadh] and accompanying sketch showing the dimensions of the obelisk and stones and describing their positions. He notes that there is no tradition about Àird Niosabost other than 'the Ord bhairneach na caillich'. The first story tells how MacLeod of Harris used to make a smudan to request the Ta[a]n[say] [Tarasaigh] peop[le] come to pay their rent' describing how proprietors can part company with or take on a new tenant. The second...

Archaeological note about 'Bo-na-cille', November 1873

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW111/25
Scope and Contents Archaeological note about 'Bo-na-cille', that there were stones with lime coming up with hooks and that there was the form of a church and [circle] there. Also notes that Cladh Baile-na-Cille is the name of the graveyard now at Scarista [Bodha na Cille and Scarasta both Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris].

Archaeological note about ciste near Roglas, 7 September 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/115
Scope and Contents Archaeological note which reads, 'North of Roglas [Roe Glas, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist] the Rev Alex[ander] Campbell priest Bornish [Bornais] saw a mile of the machair closely cover[ed] over with ciste where the wind blew away the sand.'

Archaeological note and story about Cladh Chriosd, 1867

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/55
Scope and Contents Archaeological note about Cladh Chriosd [Cladh Chrìosd, Bhatarsaigh/Vatersay] describing a stone there as having had a cross cut into it and that there is a very small hut where the bishop lived with a square stone on which he rested his book. The story describes how people used young cattle into the hut but that none ever came out alive.