Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Created For = NAHSTE
Found in 33 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Note about Tarbert Castle [An Tairbeirt/Tarbert, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] that Robert the Bruce added a storey to it.
Dates: June 1887
Scope and Contents Note about the chapel [at Stonefield Castle, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] that it is 'on top of [the] house because no person must walk above above (sic) "the Real Presence".'
Dates: June 1887
Note about the use of scallop shells on the roofs of the Chapel at Notre Dame and Kisimul Castle, 1887
Scope and Contents Note about the use of scallop shells on the roofs of the Chapel at Notre Dame [Paris] and Kisimul Castle [Caisteal Chiosmul, Barraigh/Barra].
Scope and Contents Note on Dun Raail [Dùn Raghnaill, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist] and accompanying diagram. The dun is desribed as being on an artificial isle about eighty or a hundred yards from the side of Loch Druidibeg. The diagram shows a structure containing two chambers, with measurments of each part and notes on the terrain surrounding it.
Dates: 27 March 1872
Collection — Box CLX-A-1597
Content Description This collection contains six notebooks of Edward Stratton containing handwritten ntoes and sketches on the following theme: 'history of ornament', 'architecture notes' from when Stratton was at Boroughmuir school, 'lecture and demonstration notes' (dated 1954), 'glaze recipes - tested' (c. 1966/67), 'records of work session 1952-1953', and a untitled notebook containing pencil sketches. Also includes a diary dated 1949, containing mostly comments on art.Also contains a booklet on Scottish...
Scope and Contents Notes and calculations on the size of Dun Bearnara [Dùn Beàrnaraigh, Beàrnaraigh/Berneray] including the length of the inside circle, inside pillar gate, outside curve, walls and doors.
Scope and Contents Notes on a mill at Loch a chrombaich Farm [Loch Cromlach Farm, Tarasaigh/Taransay] describing how it is 'one of the old Big mills still working' unlike another one 'at Ceann-an Ol at junction of the Avonsui & Storno[wa]y road' [Ceann an Ora and Abhainnsuidhe, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris and Steòrnabhagh, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis] which has not been working 'since 10 or 16 y[ea]rs' [c1854-1860]. Carmichael gives a detailed description of the mill including dimensions, construction, that...
Dates: 9 July 1870
Scope and Contents From the File: Includes: chronologies of events and appointments, 1791 - 1932; list of former owners of Craig House; description of crests over fireplace in Grand Hall; drawing of a crest; Notes on David Bryce, architect; notes on elevations and plans of the Hospital; a duplicated leaflet; address from the Hospital's directors; and notes on Robert Fergusson.
Dates: 20th century
Scope and Contents Notes on St Moluag's Cathedral, Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire and accompanying sketches of arches and a niche inside the church, including their dimensions. He describes some of the interior including 'The head of a bishop on the left + head of an abbess look[in]g t[o]w[ard]s the pulpit + right across the chu[rch].' The description appears to be incomplete.
Dates: 2 September 1870