Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Created For = NAHSTE
Found in 56 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes on Teampul na Trianaid collected from John Mac Innon [John MacKinnon], Carnish [Teampull na Trionaid, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] including that it was built by Nin Mhic Dhuil Latharna [Nighean Mhic Dhùghaill, a daughter of MacDougall of Lorn] who went around building in different places to leave a name behind her. MacKinnon recalls seeing charred wood on top of the temple as a result of wood being burnt across Scotland in one night 'the...
Dates: 18 January 1871
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes collected from John MacKinnon, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist on the construction of Teampull na Trionaid. Included in the details are that the gable of the building fell down after people dug at the foundations to get the flagstone which were there. A man known as Uilleam Clachair, possibly William Paterson, who came from Assaint a Tua [Asainte/Assynt, Cataibh/Sutherland] to work at Baile Raghnaill/Balranald and Baile nan Caileach/Nunton...
Dates: 18 January 1871
Scope and Contents Archaeological note about a skeleton which was found 'in a sit[tin]g pos[i]t[ion] stuck in a cleft of a rock s[outh] of Tear Che or Cherun' [Tobar Chè, Tarasaigh/Taransay] and that Tobar Chè 'is ab[ou]t 55 y[ar]ds due w[est] covered over with a face it goes back 60 or 70 f[ee]t'.
Dates: 10 July 1870
Archaeological notes on Bogha na Cille, Tobar Rua and Carragh, Borve and accompanying sketch and story, 11 July 1870
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on Bogha na Cille [also Bogha na h-Eaglais or Bogha an Teampull, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris] describing it as having 'quite visible walls' being 16 or 18 fathoms deep on a good fishing bank opposite the Manse and Scarasta [Sgarasta]. Tobar Rua is described as being 'old & burnt' and built like the mouth of a drain'. The story tells how the south side of the sand bank between Taransay [Tarasaigh] and Loscintir [Losgaintir/Luskentyre] was so large 100 years ago that it...
Dates: 11 July 1870
Archaeological notes on Crois-Ch-Chille [Crois Chaluim Chille] and Tobar C-Chille [Tobar Chaluim Chille], 1867
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on Crois-Ch-Chille and Tobar C-Chille [Crois Chaluim Chille/Columba's Cross and Tobar Chaluim Chille/Columba's Well, Beàrnaraigh/Berneray], noting the height of the cross and the position of an altar next to it and a leab-a-chràidh [leabaidh c] composed of two stones one of which was where Calum Cille prayed and the other where he slept. He notes that this was when Calum Cille consecrated the burial place. Tobar Chaluim Chille is described as a font rather than a well as it...
Scope and Contents Custom and archaeological finds relating to Eala [possibly Clach na h-Ealaidh, Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire]. The archaeological finds were pins, brooches and bones while the custom of retreating to Eala for a year and a day is described. Having completed their retreat people would emerge white-washed. Carmichael also mentions the location of the nunnery, the well where the nuns would wash [Tobar nam baintighearna at Creagan-nam-baintea[gh]rna] and another building near the...
Dates: September 1870
Scope and Contents Description of the composition of St Cyril's well [Tobar Churalain, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] including quartz pebbles and scallop shells and shards of pottery left on the shelf. Also notes that there is a beautiful spot fifty feet below the graveyard [Cladh Churalain].
Dates: 29 August 1883