Skip to main content

Customs

 Subject
Subject Source: Sss
Scope Note: Created For = CW

Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:

Journal account of a trip to the Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis including archaeological notes, January 1866

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/4
Scope and Contents Journal account of a trip to the Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis including a description of the standing stones at Callanish [Calanais], telling how local people call them 'Na Tursachain' and 'na Fir bhreige' adding 'They make out that they cannot be counted'. He also describes another stone circle nearby at Gearradh na h-abhine [Gearraidh na h-Aibhne/Garynahine] as 'a circle within a circle' and names some of the island's other stone circles: Taigh nan Druiean at Grimartaidh and Gleann sagairt...
Dates: January 1866

Note about St Cyril's graveyard, 29 August 1883

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW120/95
Scope and Contents Note possibly collected from Donald MacColl, foxhunter, Glencreran, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire, about St Cyril's graveyard [Cladh Churalain, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] and how the biers of the 'Eaglaish Shass[anach]' [English Church (Episcopal Church)] 'are smashed against an aged gnarled low cuilion holly tree after it carries up the dead' there, whereas presbyterian biers are covered with a cloth.
Dates: 29 August 1883