Skip to main content

Customs

 Subject
Subject Source: Sss
Scope Note: Created For = CW

Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:

Field notebook of Alexander Carmichael, 1883 to 1887

 Series
Identifier: Coll-97/CW120
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael containing material collected mostly in An Apainn/Appin and Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire. A large proportion of the stories and biographical information about Appin was collected from Donald MacColl, foxhunter, Glencreran, who was known as Dòmhnall a' Bhrocair. Amongst the material collected from Dòmhnall a' Bhrocair are proverbs, sayings, customs, stories about local figures and families and historic anecdotes. The other main...
Dates: 1883 to 1887

Note about Cladh Churalain [St Cyril's Graveyard], 27 September 1883

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW120/189
Scope and Contents Note about Cladh Churalain [St Cyril's Graveyard] collected from John Livingstone 'Muillear Mòr', Portnacroish, Appin [Port na Crois, An Apainn, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] aged 73, that the women dragged corpses to the graveyard as no men were left to carry them.
Dates: 27 September 1883

Note about Feill Churalain [St Cyril's Festival], 27 September 1883

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW120/190
Scope and Contents Note about Feill Churalain [Fèill Churalain/St Cyril's Festival] collected from John Livingstone 'Muillear Mòr', Portnacroish, Appin [Port na Crois, Apainn, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] aged 73, that it was held at Sgeir a' Phobuill, that the girls of Glencreran would have 'babagan beithe' (tassles of birch) and that it was held on 16 March 'Cuiralain an diugh us Pàdruig am màireach' ('Curalan today and Patrick tomorrow'). Also notes that St Cyril's Church was built of clay.
Dates: 27 September 1883