Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Created For = PJM
Found in 96 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael containing an essay entitled 'Bards and Bardism of the Highlands'; some notes on archaeology in Barra [Barraigh], Vatersay [Bhatarsaigh] and Sandray [Sanndraigh]; Fenian songs and poems; songs and poems relating to the MacDonalds; and a story entitled 'Prince Charlie's Pipe' mostly collected from South Uist [Uibhist a Deas] and Benbecula [Beinn na Faoghla].
Scope and Contents Notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael containing songs, poems, tales, names, vocabulary and expressions collected in the Outer Hebrides [Na h-Eileanan an Iar]. The first part of the volume contains transcriptions taken as Carmichael listened to informants in 1877 while the second part appears to be copies of previous transcriptions of material collected by Carmichael and Rev Malcolm MacPhail in 1874 and written into the notebook in 1891. Amongst the material is a version of the lament...
Dates: 1874, 1877 and 1891
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael principally containing material collected on Eilean Leòdhais/ Isle of Lewis. The main informants were Angus Gunn and his daughter Ann MacDonald from Dail bho Thuath/North Dell and Dail bho Dheas/South Dell respectively, who sang songs relating to Christmas and explained associated customs. They also told Carmichael stories about the temples found around Nis/Ness and about St Ronan. In addition, the notebook contains notes on winter customs,...
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael, inscribed on the inside cover with 'Alexander A Carmichael Inland Revenue Lochmaddy N[orth] Uist 15/7 1870 Note Book No 8'. The majority of this notebook contains material collected on Tarasaigh/Taransay from the MacDonalds at Paible House, Mor or Marion MacQueen and Donald MacKinnon including notes on the island's archaeology, local history and geographical changes, with stories of how coastal erosion revealed burial sites and renditions of the...
Dates: 15 July 1870 to 19 October 1871
Historical notes relating to the marriages and offspring of Clan Donald and accompanying archaeological notes about chapels, 1894
Scope and Contents Historical notes relating to the marriages and offspring of Clan Donald Godfrey of Siol Gorrie [Sìol Goraidh] and Donald first Earl of Ross, John Earl of Antrim and Alexander of Lochaber. Accompanying archaeological notes relate to chapels built close to each other.
Scope and Contents Architectural drawings (68cm x 132cm) by Percy Johnson-Marshall, undertaken whilst a student at the Liverpool School of Architecture, for the "HW Williams Prize" competition administered by the Liverpool Architectural Society. The design is for a church, to be constructed in concrete, and is presented as 5 sheets of mixed drawings in pencil and ink with a watercolour wash.
Scope and Contents Journal note about a visit to Cill-eibhinn, Crarae, Cumlodden [Cille Eibhinn/Killevin, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] which states 'Rev Duncan Campbell and his wife Mary & self visited this and took there rubbings in the dark.'
Dates: 10 August 1894
Scope and Contents Papers, plans and architectural model photographs relating to Trinity Congregational Church, constructed as as part of the Lansbury Neighbourhood of London County Council Comprehensive Development Area no 2: Stepney / Poplar. The original church at this location had been completely destroyed by bomb damage in World War II. The architects were Cecil Charles Handisyde and DR Stark
Scope and Contents List of names of wells and a chapel on Barra [Barraigh], possibly all around Loch Tangasdail, including Tobar nam Buagh, Caibeal Loch Thangastail or Caisteal St-Clair [Dún Mhic Leòid], and in Eoligarry are Tobar Bharra and Tobar Mhoire.
Scope and Contents Note which reads 'The door of the church on top of the Crois was in the west.' [St Moluag's Cathedral, Crois Dubh Lios Mòr or Black Cross of Lismore, Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire.]
Dates: September 1870