Skip to main content

Church Buildings

Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Scope Note: Created For = PJM

Found in 96 Collections and/or Records:

Notes on Saint Brianain [Brendan], 5 March 1869

Identifier: Coll-97/CW107/5
Scope and Contents Notes on Saint Brianain [Brendan] including the date of Brianain's Day and the possibilities for where he is buried, including Caibeal Bhrianain [Brendan's Chapel, Barraigh/Barra]. Also notes that the chapel is built of shell lime and small pebbles the size of apples.
Dates: 5 March 1869

Notes on St Moluag's Cathedral and accompanying sketches, 2 September 1870

Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/6
Scope and Contents Notes on St Moluag's Cathedral, Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire and accompanying sketches of arches and a niche inside the church, including their dimensions. He describes some of the interior including 'The head of a bishop on the left + head of an abbess look[in]g t[o]w[ard]s the pulpit + right across the chu[rch].' The description appears to be incomplete.
Dates: 2 September 1870

Notes on the island of Esaidh [Easaigh/Ensay], 13 July 1870

Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/87
Scope and Contents Notes on the island of Esaidh [Easaigh/Ensay, Siorramachd Inbhir-Nis/Inverness-shire] that Arch[ibald] Stewart, proprietor of Taigh Easaigh [Ensay House] had made good additions to a fine house but that it was too close to the bay - 'This is its only fault'. The situation and composition of the old temple is noted and that it is being used as a stable and of the same style as Teampull Tao Deas [Teampull Taobh Deas/Teampull an t-Sagairt, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris]. Also noted is Croc a caisteal...
Dates: 13 July 1870

Papers of the Rev. James Campbell Gordon (1906-1980)

Identifier: GD22
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of: a typescript play sequence intended for radio presentation, entitled And He was murdered!; talks for confirmation classes; newspaper cuttings dealing with the English Reformed Church in Amsterdam, in a notebook; album of photographs commemorating the BBC TV Songs of praise service conducted by Gordon, and transmitted from the English Reformed Church, Amsterdam, 21 January 1968; miscellaneous papers and...
Dates: 1898-1973

Photographs of Stepney / Poplar: east end before and after reconstruction, c1947-1961

Identifier: PJM/LCC/E/2.1.4b
Scope and Contents Mixed collection of black and white photographic prints. 53 of the prints (max 24cm x 30cm, min 11cm x 17cm) show old or derelict buildings and waste land before reconstruction, some of which have a location, date or London County Council Architect's Town Planning Division stamp on the reverse. The remainder (21cm x 25) are of completed building projects by London County Council Architect's Department, including flats and housing in Stepney / Poplar, a children's play area, Lansbury market,...
Dates: c1947-1961

Placename note for 'Cillaspeacnaig', August 1886

Identifier: Coll-97/CW122/66
Scope and Contents Placename note which reads 'Cillaspeacnaig the old name of Cill laspa Caoiril Bunawe' [Bun Obha, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire].
Dates: August 1886

Placename note which reads 'Kill = an t suidhe at Achaur', September 1870

Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/27
Scope and Contents Placename note which reads 'Kill = an t suidhe at Achaur' indicating the presence of a chapel at Achuaran.
Dates: September 1870

Plans of Lansbury Neighbourhood: Lansbury Catholic Church, 1950s

Identifier: PJM/LCC/E/2.2.6l
Scope and Contents 2 copy architectural plans (37cm x 24cm) for the Roman Catholic Church of St Mary and St Joseph in Lansbury, London. The church was designed by Adrian Gilbert Scott as part of Lansbury Neighbourhood, (Neighbourhood no 9) of London County Council Comprehensive Development Area no 2: Stepney and Poplar, which became the subject of the "Live Architecture Exhibition" at the Festival of Britain, 1951. The plans consist of a small scale plan and elevation for the church.
Dates: 1950s

Prize competitions, 1936-1937

Identifier: PJM/UOL/C
Scope and Contents Prize competitions series consists of: "HW Williams Prize -design for a church", 1935-1936 Owen Jones Studentship - design for a nursery, 1936 Honan Scholarship - design for a riverside café, 1937 competition for a glasshouse, 1937 design for an ice-rink, 1937 HW Williams Prize for the Promotion of Architectural Design in...
Dates: 1936-1937

Quote from the seer Guala Chrosda about 'Cill Chaoireall', 1892

Identifier: Coll-97/CW126f/29
Scope and Contents Quote from the seer Guala Chrosda about 'Cill Chaoireall' [St Cyril's] which reads 'Cill bhoidheach Cill Chaoireall, Is coma colan gun cheann, Theid a Chill Chaoireall'. [Cill Choirill/Glenbogle Church, Siorramachd Inbhir Nis/Inverness-shire]. A note reads to 'See Dun[can] Clerk'. Text has been scored through as if transcribed elsewhere.
Dates: 1892