Skip to main content

Stone crosses

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Scope Note: Created For = CW

Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:

Archaeological notes about Crois an t-Suidheachain, Leapaidh Chaluim Chille and Taigh Coimhidich/Garradh cail na Guaile, 1867

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/52
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes about Crois an t-Suidheachain, Leapaidh Chaluim Chille and Taigh Coimhidich/Garradh cail na Guaile, Miùghlaigh/Mingulay including dimensions and locations of the stones with a small diagram of the arrangment of the Leapaidh Chaluim Cille. Carmichael also mentions Leaba Treoireidh and Leaba MhicNeil on the side of Beinn ic a Phie [Cnoc Cnoc-a-Phì]. He notes stones that are on the south of the island facing Beàrnaraigh/Berneray adding that 'Along the whole side of this hill...
Dates: 1867

Archaeological notes on Crois-Ch-Chille [Crois Chaluim Chille] and Tobar C-Chille [Tobar Chaluim Chille], 1867

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/54
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on Crois-Ch-Chille and Tobar C-Chille [Crois Chaluim Chille/Columba's Cross and Tobar Chaluim Chille/Columba's Well, Beàrnaraigh/Berneray], noting the height of the cross and the position of an altar next to it and a leab-a-chràidh [leabaidh c] composed of two stones one of which was where Calum Cille prayed and the other where he slept. He notes that this was when Calum Cille consecrated the burial place. Tobar Chaluim Chille is described as a font rather than a well as it...
Dates: 1867

Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael, 2 September 1870 to 7 October 1875

 Series
Identifier: Coll-97/CW106
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael. Written on the inside front cover is '2/9 1870. Oban' and on the flyleaf is '[deleted: Twas] Friday 2 Sep[tember]. 1870. 12 noon from Ob[an]'. Folios 1-3r and 75r to 117v are blank. The text on folio 3v and 4r and 4v is written updside down and is later text (29 January 1875). The contents are in two distinct sections, the first being material collected on Lios Mòr/Lismore and the second being material collected in South Uist. Much of the...
Dates: 2 September 1870 to 7 October 1875

Notes and story about Naomh Moire [Maol-ruibhe], Naomh Brian[ain] and associated archaeological sites, 1867

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/74
Scope and Contents Notes and story about Naomh Moire [Maol Rubha], Naomh Brian[ain] [Brendan] and associated archaeological sites probably collected from Roderick MacNeil, aged 88, crofter, Miùghlaigh/Mingulay. The notes describe Tobar Chal[uim] Chille [St Columba's Well] as a muddy spring in a small gully east of the lighthouse [Barra Head, Beàrnaraigh/Berneray] and how St Maol Rubha's day was celebrated on Berneray 'as long as any of the old friamh had rel[atives] buried in the Cladh.' St Maol Rubha had a...
Dates: 1867

Place-name note for Crois-an-t suidheachain and Leapanan Chaluim Chille, 8 August 1867

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/39
Scope and Contents Place-name note probably collected from Roderick MacNeil, aged 88, crofter, Miùghlaigh/Mingulay for which reads 'Crois-an-t suidheachain. A place the priests had for perform[ing] div[ine] worship. Leapanan Chaluim Chille is close at hand.' Carmichael adds a reminder to 'See cross at Dunganich' [Dùn Gainmhich/Dunganichy Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula].
Dates: 8 August 1867

Story about stone crosses on Ìle/Islay, June 1887

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW89/96
Scope and Contents Story collected on Ìle/Islay about stone crosses there, stating that the cross at Kilchoman [Cille Chòmain] was from Ireland [brought by] an Irish woman who was married to a landowner from Duir [Contae Dhoire/County Londonderry/County Derry]. Mr Iain Campbell, minister, 'threw down the cross' and the last priest in Islay was brought by a daughter of Clanranald who apparently marriedCampbell of Bailnaby [Baile Nàbaidh/Balnaby/Ballinaby]. When she died she was buried next to him as she had...
Dates: June 1887