Skip to main content

Stone crosses

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Scope Note: Created For = CW

Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:

Archaeological and historical notes on the construction of Teampull na Trionaid, 18 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/136
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes collected from John MacKinnon, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist on the construction of Teampull na Trionaid. Included in the details are that the gable of the building fell down after people dug at the foundations to get the flagstone which were there. A man known as Uilleam Clachair, possibly William Paterson, who came from Assaint a Tua [Asainte/Assynt, Cataibh/Sutherland] to work at Baile Raghnaill/Balranald and Baile nan Caileach/Nunton...
Dates: 18 January 1871

Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael, 2 September 1870 to 7 October 1875

 Series
Identifier: Coll-97/CW106
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael. Written on the inside front cover is '2/9 1870. Oban' and on the flyleaf is '[deleted: Twas] Friday 2 Sep[tember]. 1870. 12 noon from Ob[an]'. Folios 1-3r and 75r to 117v are blank. The text on folio 3v and 4r and 4v is written updside down and is later text (29 January 1875). The contents are in two distinct sections, the first being material collected on Lios Mòr/Lismore and the second being material collected in South Uist. Much of the...
Dates: 2 September 1870 to 7 October 1875

Field notebook of Alexander Carmichael, 1874, 1877 and 1891

 Series
Identifier: Coll-97/CW108
Scope and Contents Notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael containing songs, poems, tales, names, vocabulary and expressions collected in the Outer Hebrides [Na h-Eileanan an Iar]. The first part of the volume contains transcriptions taken as Carmichael listened to informants in 1877 while the second part appears to be copies of previous transcriptions of material collected by Carmichael and Rev Malcolm MacPhail in 1874 and written into the notebook in 1891. Amongst the material is a version of the lament...
Dates: 1874, 1877 and 1891

Story about stone crosses on Ìle/Islay, June 1887

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW89/96
Scope and Contents Story collected on Ìle/Islay about stone crosses there, stating that the cross at Kilchoman [Cille Chòmain] was from Ireland [brought by] an Irish woman who was married to a landowner from Duir [Contae Dhoire/County Londonderry/County Derry]. Mr Iain Campbell, minister, 'threw down the cross' and the last priest in Islay was brought by a daughter of Clanranald who apparently marriedCampbell of Bailnaby [Baile Nàbaidh/Balnaby/Ballinaby]. When she died she was buried next to him as she had...
Dates: June 1887