Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Standing stones

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Scope Note: Created For = CW

Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:

Archaeological note and diagram of Leaba mhiosachain, October 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/126
Scope and Contents Archaeological note and diagram of Leaba mhiosachain at Craoineval [Leaba a' Mhiosachan, Craonabhal/Craonaval, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] described as being halfway up the north west shoulder of the hill. Carmichael describes a heather-covered circle which 'seems underground' in the centre of which is a cist. At the end of the leaba is another cist. The dimensions of the leaba are noted on the diagram and noted as being outside on the lower side is a standing stone.

Archaeological notes on Bogha na Cille, Tobar Rua and Carragh, Borve and accompanying sketch and story, 11 July 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/71
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on Bogha na Cille [also Bogha na h-Eaglais or Bogha an Teampull, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris] describing it as having 'quite visible walls' being 16 or 18 fathoms deep on a good fishing bank opposite the Manse and Scarasta [Sgarasta]. Tobar Rua is described as being 'old & burnt' and built like the mouth of a drain'. The story tells how the south side of the sand bank between Taransay [Tarasaigh] and Loscintir [Losgaintir/Luskentyre] was so large 100 years ago that it...

Archaeological notes on Loch Sgadavagh Isle and accompanying sketch, c1869

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW150/69
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on Loch Sgadavagh Isle [Loch Sgadabhagh, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] including a sketch plan of the ruins there with their dimensions, noting that there is a place for the boat at the door an destimating the age [of ruins] to be two or three hundred years old. Carmichael states that the loch is named after the island of Scadabhagh which is 'low, green & flat' and notes that thick heather or eilteach grows there. He adds that there is a pillar about five feet high at...

Journal account of a trip to the Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis including archaeological notes, January 1866

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/4
Scope and Contents Journal account of a trip to the Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis including a description of the standing stones at Callanish [Calanais], telling how local people call them 'Na Tursachain' and 'na Fir bhreige' adding 'They make out that they cannot be counted'. He also describes another stone circle nearby at Gearradh na h-abhine [Gearraidh na h-Aibhne/Garynahine] as 'a circle within a circle' and names some of the island's other stone circles: Taigh nan Druiean at Grimartaidh and Gleann sagairt...

Note about a stone circle, 1877

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW108/48
Scope and Contents Note about a stone circle called 'Sornach Corr-Fhinn' at Langas, North Uist [Sornach Coir' Fhinn, Langais, Uibhist a Tuath]. Carmichael states 'Many stones still stand in the circle round though many are fallen'.

Note about archaeological finds around Lonain, 21 September 1884

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW120/237
Scope and Contents Note about archaeological find around Lonain [Lonan, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire], including a 'ciste chloiche' which was opened by Dr Smith and Duncan Clerk but it contained nothing while a crogan or pitcher was found in a cairn nearby. It also notes that menhirs were taken to put on the road and that there is a fairy hill opposite Duntanachan.

Note about stone at Clad na mac Ri, October 1892

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW126f/49
Scope and Contents Note about a stone at Clad na mac Ri [Cladh na Mac Rìgh/Glenamachrie] that there are '3 heads cut in stone' noting other places in the area Creag Mac Ri Usenched [possibly Creag Mhic Rìgh Uisneach] and Bealach Creag Mac Rìgh [Bealach Chreag Mhic Rìgh] and Airdenry Farm [Airdeny], Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire.

Story about An Carra Bhoradh, 21 May 1869 to December 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW150/10
Scope and Contents Story about An Carra Bhoradh collected from Don M Phie [Donald MacPhee], blacksmith, Breuvaig [Brèibhig/Breivig, Barraigh/Isle of Barra]. The stone [An Carra Bhoradh] is described as having been used as a brangas and its dimensions noted. MacPhee tells how iron was put through the hole in the stone and then around the neck of the 'delinquents'. The last woman to be put in the brangas was Mairi Thaillear [Nic an t-Saoir] [Mary MacIntyre] from Allasdale [Allathasdal] because she had stolen sheep....

Story about Cladh na h-Inid and the house at Loch Nell, 1884

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW120/242
Scope and Contents Story about Cladh na h-Inid [Cladh na h-Annaid] and the house at Loch Nell [Loch nan Eala, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] that Cladh na h-Inid is a stone circle of '17 x 19 y[ar]ds' that there was a grave cist there and also that it was the site of a battle between natives and the Irish. Also states that Alastair MacColla had to put the house at Loch Nell on fire but the fire would not burn because the 'laogh alla' was visiting.