Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Underwater archaeology

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Scope Note: Created For = CW

Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:

Archaeological note about 'Bo-na-cille', November 1873

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW111/25
Scope and Contents Archaeological note about 'Bo-na-cille', that there were stones with lime coming up with hooks and that there was the form of a church and [circle] there. Also notes that Cladh Baile-na-Cille is the name of the graveyard now at Scarista [Bodha na Cille and Scarasta both Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris].

Archaeological note entitled 'Hoilisgeir', November 1873

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW111/3
Scope and Contents Archaeological note entitled 'Hoilisgeir' [possibly Trolaisgeir/Trollasker, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist], which reads 'Remains of house eye of Kiln + fire place (sorn) + dyke on top of Pabby Harris 50 acres lost.' [Pabbay, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris]. The note also states that there is lime on ruins at Kildonan [Cill Donnain, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist] and that a Mrs Macgill[ivra]y said she saw it when she was a 'lassie' and that it had 'tangles sticking out'. A cook at Milton [Àirigh Mhuilinn]...

Archaeological notes on Bogha na Cille, Tobar Rua and Carragh, Borve and accompanying sketch and story, 11 July 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/71
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on Bogha na Cille [also Bogha na h-Eaglais or Bogha an Teampull, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris] describing it as having 'quite visible walls' being 16 or 18 fathoms deep on a good fishing bank opposite the Manse and Scarasta [Sgarasta]. Tobar Rua is described as being 'old & burnt' and built like the mouth of a drain'. The story tells how the south side of the sand bank between Taransay [Tarasaigh] and Loscintir [Losgaintir/Luskentyre] was so large 100 years ago that it...

Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael, 14 November 1873 to 10 April 1875

 Series
Identifier: Coll-97/CW111
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael. Of the ninety-three folios in the notebook, only twenty-two have been used.

Fragment of a note about submerged houses, 7 August 1886

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW122/24
Scope and Contents Fragment of a note collected from Duncan Cameron, police officer, Lochaline [Loch Àlainn, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] about submerged houses which reads 'Remains of houses under low water Taighean & &.'

Story about seeing the remains of 'Bogha an Teampuill', November 1873

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW111/23
Scope and Contents Story collected from Keith Macdonald, Scarista [Sgarasta, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris], that he saw 'most distinctly' the walls of Bogha an Teampuill, which are submerged opposite Scarista beag [Sgarasta Bheag] and that 'the tangles were growing to a great extent over it'. 'He saw it to his great astonishment' as his hooks had got entangled with the long seaweed and he noticed lime shells on the seaweed which came up with his hooks.

Story entitled 'Submerged Church', 4 November 1873

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW111/1
Scope and Contents Story entitled 'Submerged Church', collected from Ken[neth] MacKenzie, mason, Dallabrog [Dalabrog/Daliburgh, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist] at Eirisg, Barra [Eirisgeigh/Eriskay, Barraigh/Isle of Barra]. MacKenzie tells Carmichael that he was made aware of the church, Caibeal MhicCeallaich, by another man while shearing sheep. He describes the dimensions and composition of the building in detail and its location as 'Below Bornish Uarach s[outh] side of point Lowest spring tide' [Bornais Uarach/Upper...