Skip to main content

Stone fonts

Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Scope Note: Created For = CW,Use For = Baptismal fonts

Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:

Archaeological notes on Crois-Ch-Chille [Crois Chaluim Chille] and Tobar C-Chille [Tobar Chaluim Chille], 1867

Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/54
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on Crois-Ch-Chille and Tobar C-Chille [Crois Chaluim Chille/Columba's Cross and Tobar Chaluim Chille/Columba's Well, Beàrnaraigh/Berneray], noting the height of the cross and the position of an altar next to it and a leab-a-chràidh [leabaidh c] composed of two stones one of which was where Calum Cille prayed and the other where he slept. He notes that this was when Calum Cille consecrated the burial place. Tobar Chaluim Chille is described as a font rather than a well as...
Dates: 1867

Custom about a blessing stone on Bernara an Easpuig, 8 August 1867

Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/37
Scope and Contents Custom collected from Roderick MacNeil, aged 88, crofter, Miùghlaigh/Mingulay about a blessing stone on Bernara an Easpuig [Beàrnaraigh/Berneray] that it was in a stone font in the graveyard and that people who were afraid would go and stroke it. There is also a note about the bishop's house that it 'was up till late and the stone upon which he rested his book while read[ing] is there still.' The custom is preceded by a short saying 'Bean Chaluim Chille am Miulay. Bean Naomh Mòire am...
Dates: 8 August 1867

Note entitled 'Font', March 1866

Identifier: Coll-97/CW104/27
Scope and Contents

Note entitled 'Font' describing the carvings on a baptismal font, one side showing Christ and the cross, another the Virigin and child, another a bishop 'in full pontificals and crozier' and on the last side a knight in full armour. Also on the font there are 'beautiful celtic basketwork', plants and inscriptions which are no longer legible. The font is St Michael's font in the Chapel of St Maelrube [Maol Rubha], Lochaoineart, An t-Eilean Sgitheanach/Isle of Skye.

Dates: March 1866