Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Bishops

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Scope Note: Created For = CW

Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:

Custom about a blessing stone on Bernara an Easpuig, 8 August 1867

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/37
Scope and Contents Custom collected from Roderick MacNeil, aged 88, crofter, Miùghlaigh/Mingulay about a blessing stone on Bernara an Easpuig [Beàrnaraigh/Berneray] that it was in a stone font in the graveyard and that people who were afraid would go and stroke it. There is also a note about the bishop's house that it 'was up till late and the stone upon which he rested his book while read[ing] is there still.' The custom is preceded by a short saying 'Bean Chaluim Chille am Miulay. Bean Naomh Mòire am Bearnara.'

Note about the last Bishop of Lismore, September 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/32
Scope and Contents Note about the last Bishop of Lismore [Lios Mòr, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] that he was brought as a prisoner from Ach nan Duin [Achadun] to Dundee but never returned. The pencil text is quite faded in places making it difficult to read.

Story about the book of the Bishops of Kilchiaran, September 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/63
Scope and Contents Story about the book of the Bishops of Kilchiaran, collected from John Black, aged eighty-six, Killean, Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire. Black states that he saw the book of the bishops of Kilchiaran [Kilcheran], which was written in Latin on one page and English on the other, and that it said that the Castle of Achnanduin [Achadun] was built in 1209. The place Lithe-sgeir [Liath Sgeir] is mentioned at the end of the story but with no indication of why.