Found in 191 Collections and/or Records:
Gladstone enquires whether the white cock pheasant he sent to Ewart has been more successful this year. He asks that Ewart keep the bird until it dies or is killed, and then he should send it to J. Cullingford of the University Museum, Durham, where it will be stuffed. He offers Ewart a bird which he considers to resemble a bantam cock in return for Ewart's opinions as to its parentage.
The agents write that the sailing of the ship 'The Duke of Norfolk' was postponed, and ask Ewart to arrange for two stallions to be despatched to the Albert Docks the following week.
Forsyth reports that the other members of the Congested Districts Board are complimentary about Ewart's proposed Report on Ponies, although because parts of it have already appeared in the Transactions of the Highland and Agricultural Society, they do not wish to publish it. He hopes that the pony 'Atholl' has arrived in South Uist.
Forsyth states that he is glad to hear that all the mares have foaled and that three of the foals are colts. He reports that there has been a delay in the purchase of Kilmuir, but that he hopes they will eventually get possession of their small stud farm. He confirms that Beaton should be able to take the Antrim horse to Benbecula at any time.
Forsyth states that he received Ewart's letter from Barra and agrees that they must send another stallion there, but not this season. He writes that he has sent a copy of Ewart's report to the Secretary of State.
Graham writes concerning the confusion over the return of the pony 'Greylegs' to his farm. He thanks Ewart for his support of his breeding experiments and states that he will make enquiries about acquiring an Arab-Russian stud.
Crichton-Stuart, who signs himself 'Bute', thanks Ewart for his recent hospitality and writes that he would like to acquire three score Shetland ewes. He suggests that the ewes might be sent to Ewart's farm to be served by his Siberian ram before being sent to the Isle of Bute. He also offers to buy Ewart's Chillingham bull.
Crichton-Stuart, who signs himself 'Bute', confirms that the sheep have arrived safely on the Isle of Bute and seem healthy. He comments that two sheep appear longer than the others, and he wonders whether these could be crosses with the Siberian from Ewart's farm or perhaps twins from Shetland.
Campbell writes that the sheep were unable to make the crossing to Ailsa Craig the previous day, but that an acquaintance, John Hannah, has offered to winter the sheep with his own at Girvan Mains, which he believes will be better for their experiment.