Skip to main content

Assynt Sutherland Scotland

Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:

Archaeological and historical notes on the construction of Teampull na Trionaid, 18 January 1871

Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/136
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes collected from John MacKinnon, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist on the construction of Teampull na Trionaid. Included in the details are that the gable of the building fell down after people dug at the foundations to get the flagstone which were there. A man known as Uilleam Clachair, possibly William Paterson, who came from Assaint a Tua [Asainte/Assynt, Cataibh/Sutherland] to work at Baile Raghnaill/Balranald and Baile nan Caileach/Nunton...
Dates: 18 January 1871

Geological Survey notebook 'W', 1880

Identifier: Coll-74/1/4
Scope and Contents

Drawings and notes on geology, largely from the north of Scotland, including Peterhead, Ullapool, Sutherland, Assynt, and Lochs Torridon, Maree and Broom. References are made to the granite at Aberdeen, the sand at Forres and Banffshire limestone, amongst other things.

Dates: 1880

Observations on a travelling family on the Isle of Barra, 10 June 1901

Identifier: Coll-97/CW110/3
Scope and Contents

Observations on a travelling family in Castlebay, Isle of Barra [Bàgh a' Chaisteil, Barraigh] noting their appearance, their intelligence and that the man was from Assynt [Asainte, Cataibh/Sutherland] and the woman from Lews [Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis]. Text has been scored through as if transcribed elsewhere.

Dates: 10 June 1901