University of Edinburgh (Scottish University)
- Existence: 1583-present
The University of Edinburgh was established by Royal Charter in 1582. It was originally called Tounis College, when part of a legacy left by Robert Reid, Bishop of Orkney in 1558 had established a college of which the Town Council had gained control to establish a College of Law on the South side of Edinburgh. The inception of the University took place in 1583. In 1617 when King James VI of Scotland (I of England) visited the College it was decreed that the College should change its name to King James' College, although the College continued to use the older title. The first change in the corporate body of the University was not until 1935 when the first merger took place. This was between the Faculty of Divinity of the University of Edinburgh and New College. This was due to the re-union of the Church of Scotland in 1932.The next merger was in 1951 when the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School was reconstituted as part of the University of Edinburgh. The Royal (Dick) Veterinary School achieved full faculty status in 1964. In 1998 Moray House Institute of Education became the Faculty of Education.
The first classes of the university were held in Hamilton House known as the Duke's Lodge. In 1582 a site that included St Mary in the Fields was acquired. Many new buildings and extensions were made to the site of Hamilton House after 1616. Two prominent stages of building for the University were those undertaken by Robert Adam and William Playfair. In 1869 the site next to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was acquired. Building on this project was completed by the end of the 19th century. The University today is situated around these areas in the centre of Edinburgh and Kings Buildings and there are also campuses at Holyrood and elsewhere.
Teaching began in 1583 under Robert Rollock, with a four year course in arts to gain a masters of arts. When Rollock was appointed as the first principal of the University, there were four Philosophy regents and one regent of Humanity, whilst Rollock specialized in Divinity. Until the beginning of the 18th century the University remained essentially an Arts College, with a Divinity School attached. Throughout the 17th century the Chairs of Divinity, Oriental Languages, Ecclesiastical History and Mathematics had been created. By the end of the 17th century there was also regular teaching in Medicine, and sporadic teaching in Law. The University was at the centre of European Enlightenment in the 18th century. By 1722 a Faculty of Law had been established. The first medical Chair had been established in 1685 and was closely followed in the first half of the 18th century by six more. Four more medical Chairs were created in the 19th century. New Chairs in other Faculties were not established after 1760 until the latter half of the 19th century when they followed in rapid succession, continuing in the 20th century, which include those produced by the mergers with New College, the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School and Moray House Institute of Education.
The University was governed by the town council until the Universities (Scotland) Act of 1858, when it received self governing status. The archaic teaching and management system of regents was abolished in 1708. The 1858 act dramatically changed the constitution of the University. A University Court and General Council were introduced which decided on matters and management pertaining to the whole University. The Senatus Academicus was already in place before 1858and this managed academic matters, but answered to the Court and Council. This system is still used.
The University of Edinburgh provides validation for a Master of Fine Arts that has run jointly with Edinburgh College of Art since 1943. A joint chair, the Hood Chair of Mining Engineering was established in 1923 with Heriot-Watt College which became Heriot-Watt University.
In 2002, the structure of the university was altered substantially, with the abolition of Faculties and the creation of the College of Humanities & Social Science, the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine and the College of Science & Engineering. Departments were replaced by Schools within each Faculty.
Found in 134 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents The papers of James Geikie consist of: original lecture notes reprints of scientific papers correspondence relating to the publication of scientific papers personal correspondence and photographs a copy of The Great Ice Age and its Relation to the Antiquity of Man, (1877), 2nd ed with hand-written notes ...
Scope and Contents Copies of printed documents (memoranda, committee papers, emails), many with autograph annotations, relevant to the review of support services, academic management restructuring and devolution to colleges and schools, along with several large tables charting the relevant chairs, duties, and particulars of appointment of professors across the older Faculty structure of the University - all covering the period 2001-2002.
Scope and Contents The collection of Papers of Professor Roger Davidson is composed of his material used in the preparation of two of his books: The Sexual State: sexuality and Scottish governance 1950-80 (Edinburgh: EUP, 2012), and Illicit and Unnatural Practices: The Law, Sex and Society in Scotland since 1900 (Edinburgh: EUP, 2019). See the box lists for more details.
Dates: 2000s-2010s (creation of notes and research material themselves); 1880s-1980s (date of source material)
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of (in many cases simply copies of) cases, reports, drafts, memoranda, off-prints, articles, notes, correspondence, lectures and addresses, news-clippings and other material relating to: Defective consent Illegality of obligations / Illegality and morailty / Illegal contracts Contract code / Contract code - Minors Unjustified...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-667
Scope and Contents The collection largely consists of letters from Godfrey Thomson to Ledermann. Many are highly mathematical in content, containing formulae and mathematical notation, though they also regard social events and contain enquiries from Thomson with regards to the safety of Ledermann's family throughout the war.
Scope and Contents The papers at shelfmark Gen. 2044-2073 consist of notebooks of notes from lectures at Edinburgh University and in India, 1878-1890.At MSS 2592-2593 there are personal papers including correspondence, a school notebook of handwriting dated 1875, and a school fees receipt dated 1869; photographs; notes of Natural Philosophy classes, 1879; and, essays, 1879. There is material marking celebrations of Edinburgh University Tercentenary; material of the Dialectic Society and the Diagnostic...
Dates: circa 1869-1930
Scope and Contents The material in the collection is composed of: lecture and sermon notes in manuscript and typescript, including Rankin's Jewish religious polemic: a study of documents here rendered in English which was published posthumously in 1956; diary of a visit to Sicily and Crete, 1908; circa 33 exercise books of lecture notes while at Berlin University, 1909-1910; notes on the festival of Hannukah; notes and material on the Pentateuch, Samuel, Judges, and preparatory to the...
Scope and Contents The material is composed of: an exercise book and loose exercise book pages of church history and class lectures in church history, 1862-1899; manuscript and typescript of a projected Life of St. Augustine; notes for further work; an illuminated address of the Edinburgh Presbytery of the United Free Church of Scotland to Rainy, 1901, on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of his ordination; and bound volume of newspaper cuttings, obituaries, tributes on the occasion...
Scope and Contents Contains: Coll-1364/1: papers relating to scientific research (1949-1982); Coll-1364/2: papers relating to grants from the Ford Foundation (1960-1983); Coll-1364/3: papers relating to lectures given by R.A Beatty (1948-1978); Coll-1364/4: papers relating to conferences and other events (1955-1982); Coll-1364/5: papers relating to reports and...
Scope and Contents The papers Sir Archibald Geikie consist of: personal, organisational and scientific correspondence geological notebooks with field sketches and water-colours reprints of his work miscellaneous lecture notes student's lecture notes lecture notes and printed maps relating to a visit to Boston proofs for...