University of Edinburgh (Scottish University)
- Existence: 1583-present
The University of Edinburgh was established by Royal Charter in 1582. It was originally called Tounis College, when part of a legacy left by Robert Reid, Bishop of Orkney in 1558 had established a college of which the Town Council had gained control to establish a College of Law on the South side of Edinburgh. The inception of the University took place in 1583. In 1617 when King James VI of Scotland (I of England) visited the College it was decreed that the College should change its name to King James' College, although the College continued to use the older title. The first change in the corporate body of the University was not until 1935 when the first merger took place. This was between the Faculty of Divinity of the University of Edinburgh and New College. This was due to the re-union of the Church of Scotland in 1932.The next merger was in 1951 when the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School was reconstituted as part of the University of Edinburgh. The Royal (Dick) Veterinary School achieved full faculty status in 1964. In 1998 Moray House Institute of Education became the Faculty of Education.
The first classes of the university were held in Hamilton House known as the Duke's Lodge. In 1582 a site that included St Mary in the Fields was acquired. Many new buildings and extensions were made to the site of Hamilton House after 1616. Two prominent stages of building for the University were those undertaken by Robert Adam and William Playfair. In 1869 the site next to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was acquired. Building on this project was completed by the end of the 19th century. The University today is situated around these areas in the centre of Edinburgh and Kings Buildings and there are also campuses at Holyrood and elsewhere.
Teaching began in 1583 under Robert Rollock, with a four year course in arts to gain a masters of arts. When Rollock was appointed as the first principal of the University, there were four Philosophy regents and one regent of Humanity, whilst Rollock specialized in Divinity. Until the beginning of the 18th century the University remained essentially an Arts College, with a Divinity School attached. Throughout the 17th century the Chairs of Divinity, Oriental Languages, Ecclesiastical History and Mathematics had been created. By the end of the 17th century there was also regular teaching in Medicine, and sporadic teaching in Law. The University was at the centre of European Enlightenment in the 18th century. By 1722 a Faculty of Law had been established. The first medical Chair had been established in 1685 and was closely followed in the first half of the 18th century by six more. Four more medical Chairs were created in the 19th century. New Chairs in other Faculties were not established after 1760 until the latter half of the 19th century when they followed in rapid succession, continuing in the 20th century, which include those produced by the mergers with New College, the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School and Moray House Institute of Education.
The University was governed by the town council until the Universities (Scotland) Act of 1858, when it received self governing status. The archaic teaching and management system of regents was abolished in 1708. The 1858 act dramatically changed the constitution of the University. A University Court and General Council were introduced which decided on matters and management pertaining to the whole University. The Senatus Academicus was already in place before 1858and this managed academic matters, but answered to the Court and Council. This system is still used.
The University of Edinburgh provides validation for a Master of Fine Arts that has run jointly with Edinburgh College of Art since 1943. A joint chair, the Hood Chair of Mining Engineering was established in 1923 with Heriot-Watt College which became Heriot-Watt University.
In 2002, the structure of the university was altered substantially, with the abolition of Faculties and the creation of the College of Humanities & Social Science, the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine and the College of Science & Engineering. Departments were replaced by Schools within each Faculty.
Found in 46 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of 5 menu cards from the Annual Dinners of the Edinburgh University Forestry Society for the years 1929-1932 - the years covering the course followed by James Robert Thom - and for 1954. The latter was 25 years after Thom's first year at University. The cards for 1929 and 1932 are heavily autographed, and the card for 1931 notes that J. R. Thom was the Chairman which meant that he was required to propose a toast to 'the guests' during the 1931 Annual...
Content Description This fonds consists of 25 technical drawings produced by John McKay Campbell for his engineering degree, which he started in 1934 at the University of Edinburgh, and completed in June 1939 after the war. Titles of drawings include: "D.C. Machine", "Light Country Bridge", "Proposed road", "Grouped flange-place splice", "Survey of pasture fields", "Survey of drill fields", and "Non-concurrent coplanar forces".
Scope and Contents The essay, manuscript, pp.32, entitled What is or what ought to be the meaning of Causation in the physical world? is dated 5 March 1900, and signed George W. Jones. On the cover is note: If lost / please return to / Geo. W. Jones / 52 North Bridge / Edinburgh / Reward
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-375
Scope and Contents Graduation certificate, on vellum, of William Kerr Smith, who graduated from Edinburgh University in 1771 with a Master's in Liberal Arts. A red wax seal in a metal case is appended to the certificate. It represents a castle surrounded with the words 'S.[IGILLUM] COMMUNITATIS. BURGI. DE EDENBURGH. AD. CAUSAS.', and was appended by the City of Edinburgh to confirm the authenticity of the diploma.This collection also includes William Smith's ordination certificate, as he became the Episcopal...
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of the following notes: - notes on Civil Law, 1930-1931 - notes on Civil Law (continuation, 2 June 1931 to 10 July 1931 - notes on Jurisprudence, 15 October 1930 to 19 December 1930 - notes on Scots Law (Book I), 14 October 1931 to 22 January 1932 - notes on Scots Law (Book II, 23 January 1932 to 14 June 1932 ...
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of: - solution to practical examinations, Conveyancing, 1952-1953, typescript - programme of work, Conveyancing, typescript copies - regulations for entrance, Faculty of Advocates,1950s, typescript - synopsis of lectures, 1952-1953, typescript - exam papers, Law, 1949-1952, typescript - guide to...
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of Lecture notes on English Literature and Divinity taken down during 1955-1956, with the English Literature notes including: - Dr. Johnson - Critical Theory, given by A. M. Clarke - The seventeenth century, also given by A. M. Clarke There are also Supplementary notes on: Wordsworth; Shelley; Matthew Arnold; and,...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-837, Folder: Coll-1158
Scope and Contents The letter is addressed to 'Aux Etudiants de l'Universite de Edimbourg', and begins 'Chers Messieurs, Je vous suis bien reconnaissant pour votre proposition si innatendue et si flatteuse: de poser ma candidature pour le Rectorat de votre Universite...' The letter is dated 'le 7 juin 1935', and was sent to Mr. R. N. Levitt, Edinburgh. The gist of the letter is that Trotsky was unable to accept the invitation to stand in the election. The letter is signed with a flourished...
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of, at shelfmark E2009.12, an autograph letter signed 'Roberts' to 'Dear Sir', and marked 'Private'. It is a 3-page letter, headed (embossed) Royal Hospital, Dublin, and dated 18 February 1896. In it, he declines to stand as the Liberal Unionist candidate for the Lord Rectorship of Edinburgh University. He states that, 'The conclusion I have come to, and in which I have reason to believe that the military authorities concur, is that it would be undesirable for an...
Scope and Contents The account notebook contains detailed and precise notes for his time at Edinburgh University, starting October 1859 with expenditure for session 1859-1860. The first page shows detail from 31 October to 24 November 1859 including ten shillings (10/-) for his train fare (from Perth), his one shilling and sixpence (1/6) cab fare from the railway station to Melville Street, and his bill of two pounds eleven shilings and twopence (£1/11/2) for lodgings and food for one week and three days. On 29...