Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

University of Edinburgh (Scottish University)

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1583-present

The University of Edinburgh was established by Royal Charter in 1582. It was originally called Tounis College, when part of a legacy left by Robert Reid, Bishop of Orkney in 1558 had established a college of which the Town Council had gained control to establish a College of Law on the South side of Edinburgh. The inception of the University took place in 1583. In 1617 when King James VI of Scotland (I of England) visited the College it was decreed that the College should change its name to King James' College, although the College continued to use the older title. The first change in the corporate body of the University was not until 1935 when the first merger took place. This was between the Faculty of Divinity of the University of Edinburgh and New College. This was due to the re-union of the Church of Scotland in 1932.The next merger was in 1951 when the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School was reconstituted as part of the University of Edinburgh. The Royal (Dick) Veterinary School achieved full faculty status in 1964. In 1998 Moray House Institute of Education became the Faculty of Education.
The first classes of the university were held in Hamilton House known as the Duke's Lodge. In 1582 a site that included St Mary in the Fields was acquired. Many new buildings and extensions were made to the site of Hamilton House after 1616. Two prominent stages of building for the University were those undertaken by Robert Adam and William Playfair. In 1869 the site next to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was acquired. Building on this project was completed by the end of the 19th century. The University today is situated around these areas in the centre of Edinburgh and Kings Buildings and there are also campuses at Holyrood and elsewhere.
Teaching began in 1583 under Robert Rollock, with a four year course in arts to gain a masters of arts. When Rollock was appointed as the first principal of the University, there were four Philosophy regents and one regent of Humanity, whilst Rollock specialized in Divinity. Until the beginning of the 18th century the University remained essentially an Arts College, with a Divinity School attached. Throughout the 17th century the Chairs of Divinity, Oriental Languages, Ecclesiastical History and Mathematics had been created. By the end of the 17th century there was also regular teaching in Medicine, and sporadic teaching in Law. The University was at the centre of European Enlightenment in the 18th century. By 1722 a Faculty of Law had been established. The first medical Chair had been established in 1685 and was closely followed in the first half of the 18th century by six more. Four more medical Chairs were created in the 19th century. New Chairs in other Faculties were not established after 1760 until the latter half of the 19th century when they followed in rapid succession, continuing in the 20th century, which include those produced by the mergers with New College, the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School and Moray House Institute of Education.
The University was governed by the town council until the Universities (Scotland) Act of 1858, when it received self governing status. The archaic teaching and management system of regents was abolished in 1708. The 1858 act dramatically changed the constitution of the University. A University Court and General Council were introduced which decided on matters and management pertaining to the whole University. The Senatus Academicus was already in place before 1858and this managed academic matters, but answered to the Court and Council. This system is still used.
The University of Edinburgh provides validation for a Master of Fine Arts that has run jointly with Edinburgh College of Art since 1943. A joint chair, the Hood Chair of Mining Engineering was established in 1923 with Heriot-Watt College which became Heriot-Watt University.
In 2002, the structure of the university was altered substantially, with the abolition of Faculties and the creation of the College of Humanities & Social Science, the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine and the College of Science & Engineering. Departments were replaced by Schools within each Faculty.

Found in 74 Collections and/or Records:

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area, 1925-c1980

 Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B
Scope and Contents Collected material relating to the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area as a whole, or different locations within it.: University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area, (1962) interim reports, (1969-1970 staffing issues, (1961-1962) general correspondence, sub-committee papers and minutes, (1973-1977) development of...

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area, 1964

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.8.1
Scope and Contents Set of 21 themed plans, overlaid on the same area of an Ordnance Survey plan, showing the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962). 20 are at 1:2500 scale and cover the themes: commerce and industry, retail shops and service trades, land use, existing bus routes, existing sewers, existing mains water, existing gas mains, existing high voltage cables, existing low voltage cables, existing post office underground plant, existing water mains, zoning plan, proposed road plan,...

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962), 1950-1964

 Sub-Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1
Scope and Contents University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962) consists of: background information, (1950-1962) preparation documents, (1961) preparation photographs, (c1961) drafts and final booklet published, (1962-1963) architectural model, (1962) photographs of architectural models, (1961-1962) lectures and...

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962): architectural model, 1962

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.5
Scope and Contents 1:500 scale architectural model of University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area, 1962 built for University of Edinburgh Development Committee by the Department of Architecture, under the direction of Percy Johnson-Marshall. The model measures W 184 cm x L 201 cm x H 30 cm and centres on the George Square area of the University. It features removable buildings and sections for demonstrating possible development options. The model was on display in the "An Expanding University"...

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962): background information, 1950-1962

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.1
Scope and Contents Background information concerning the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962) consists of: Corporation of the City of Edinburgh Planning Committee minutes, (1 February 1961) documents relating to the City of Edinburgh Development Plan, (1954-1960) a report concerning the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area, (June 1962) a...

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962): demolition maps and plans, c1960

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.9
Scope and Contents Plans relating to the demolition of housing in Edinburgh within the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area and nearby streets. The plans consist of a detailed Project Plan by the Corporation of the City of Edinburgh's City Engineers Department for the East Adam Street area. This is accompanied by a detailed 1:500 scale plan (35cm x 40cm) of the area, hand-coloured to cross reference demolition areas to the project plan. There are also 4 copy 1:1250 Ordnance Survey transparencies...

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962): drafts and final publication, 1962-1963

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.4
Scope and Contents University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962): drafts and final publication consists of: published copy of University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area ( 1962) published copy of University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area...

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962): general correspondence, sub-committee papers and minutes, 1973-1977

 Sub-Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/4
Scope and Contents University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962): general correspondence, sub-committee papers and minutes consists of 3 files entitled: Edinburgh University CDA: Faculty of Music, Law, Divinity, Veterinary, (1975-1976) University of Edinburgh CDA: Faculty of Medicine, (1973-1977) University of Edinburgh CDA: Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, (1975-1976) ...

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962): general maps and plans, 1961-1979

 Archival Record
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.8
Scope and Contents University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962): general maps and plans consists of: University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area, (1964) University of Edinburgh central area development, (1979) city development plan, (1969-1979) City and Royal Burgh of Edinburgh development plan: University: Nicolson Street Comprehensive Development...

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962): interim reports, 1969-1970

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/2
Scope and Contents This file consists of 2 interim reports concerning conservation issues surrounding the implementation of the the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962).