MacDougall (of Lorn)
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes on Teampul na Trianaid collected from John Mac Innon [John MacKinnon], Carnish [Teampull na Trionaid, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] including that it was built by Nin Mhic Dhuil Latharna [Nighean Mhic Dhùghaill, a daughter of MacDougall of Lorn] who went around building in different places to leave a name behind her. MacKinnon recalls seeing charred wood on top of the temple as a result of wood being burnt across Scotland in one night 'the...
Dates: 18 January 1871
Scope and Contents Note relating to Duns around North Uist some having their location or appearance described. Duns mentioned are: Dun Du, Loch Hanndary [Dùn Dubh, Loch]; Dun-more Iollairy [Dùn Mòr Iolaraigh], Dun na holla Baileshear [Dùn na h-Òla, Baile Sear/Baleshare], Dun na Dise [Dùn na Dìse], Dun -a ghemhlich, Loch Una [Dùn a' Gheimlich, Loch Huna], Dun ban, Loch carsva [Dùn Bàn, Loch Carabhat], Dun Loch Hundary W[est] Lee [Dùn] [all Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist]. The note also mentions that three duns built...
Scope and Contents Song entitled 'Oran nan Caibeal' probably collected from Penelope MacLellan, Ormacleit/Ormaclete, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist, beginning 'Caibeal Chlann ic Dhuil, Sen gun duil ri fhaighinn'. The song is composed of seventeen lines and has been scored through in ink with the following text written transversely across it 'B[ook] 2 P[age] [-] Trans[cribed] June 14 1869 A[lexander] A[rchibald] C[armichael].' The text contains a number of amendments in pencil.
Dates: 27 May 1869 and 14 June 1869
Scope and Contents Story about the Morair Ban [Am Morair Bàn or Sir Alexander MacDonald], who when visiting North Uist [Uibhist a Tuath] asked an old, intelligent man called 'Gillean mac Gillean' to visit the temple at Cairinis [Carinish] with him. When he asked Gillean when the temple was built he replied that it was 476 years ago and looked in a red book in his pocket and confirmed it. The builder was the second wife of the MacDonalds of the day daughter of MacDugall of Lorn.
Dates: 23 March 1869
Scope and Contents Story about how Dail na Coise was named stating that Macdougal of Lorn had a sore foot which no one could heal so he sent for MacConnachar [MacConacher] the doctor. MacDougall said he would give MacConnachar anything if he healed his foot and MacConnachar asked for the field below the house, which was thereafter called 'Dail na Coise'.
Dates: 18 September 1884
Scope and Contents Two stories collected from Hector MacLeod, aged 85, at Caisteal Bhuirgh/Borve Castle, Lionacleit/Linaclate, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula about Raol mor mac ic Ailein [Raghnall Mòr mac 'ic Aileain or Ranald MacDonald of Clanranald]. The first story tells of a foster-brother of Nighean Mhic Neill came from Barraigh/Isle of Barra to visit her at Caisteal Borgh but unable to get across the ford he stayed at a shoemaker's house. In the morning, a miosgan ime was placed on the table and the Barrach...
Dates: 20 January 1871