Skip to main content

Archaeological and historical notes on Teampul na Trianaid, 18 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/134

Scope and Contents

Archaeological and historical notes on Teampul na Trianaid collected from John Mac Innon [John MacKinnon], Carnish [Teampull na Trionaid, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] including that it was built by Nin Mhic Dhuil Latharna [Nighean Mhic Dh├╣ghaill, a daughter of MacDougall of Lorn] who went around building in different places to leave a name behind her. MacKinnon recalls seeing charred wood on top of the temple as a result of wood being burnt across Scotland in one night 'the reason of the burn[in]g a dead secret' and how people would come from Uibhist a Deas/South Uist and Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula to cut grass from the roof for cures and take water from the well Tobar na Trianaid [Tobar na Trionaid], leaving coins in payment. Also mentioned are the crosses which were at the temple - three small ones and one large one. MacKinnon remembers when the stones supporting the crosses were up and how a Donald MacDonald [Donl mac Ruari ic Dhonul ic Ruari or Domhnall mac Ruaraidh ic Dhomhnaill ic Ruaraidh] took the supporting stones to build his house. After this everything went wrong for him, with children dying, his wife losing her strength, his mother becoming deranged and losing his cattle. He emigrated to Canada but after a while things went wrong for him again his stock and houses burning. MacKinnon remembers images on the inside eastern wall of the temple including Fuamhaire an Teampuill which had three heads and would frighten people. Teampull Chlann a' Phiocair [Chapel of the MacVicars] is mentioned as being north of Teampull na Trionaid and as being built for Tai[gh] Chailleacha Dugha.

Dates

  • 18 January 1871

Language of Materials

Gaelic English

Conditions Governing Access

This material is unrestricted.

Extent

From the Series: 64 folios ; 19.5 x 23 cm