Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Created For = CW
Found in 17 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes on Teampul na Trianaid collected from John Mac Innon [John MacKinnon], Carnish [Teampull na Trionaid, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] including that it was built by Nin Mhic Dhuil Latharna [Nighean Mhic Dhùghaill, a daughter of MacDougall of Lorn] who went around building in different places to leave a name behind her. MacKinnon recalls seeing charred wood on top of the temple as a result of wood being burnt across Scotland in one night 'the...
Dates: 18 January 1871
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes collected from John MacKinnon, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist on the construction of Teampull na Trionaid. Included in the details are that the gable of the building fell down after people dug at the foundations to get the flagstone which were there. A man known as Uilleam Clachair, possibly William Paterson, who came from Assaint a Tua [Asainte/Assynt, Cataibh/Sutherland] to work at Baile Raghnaill/Balranald and Baile nan Caileach/Nunton...
Dates: 18 January 1871
Scope and Contents Archaeological note about Cladh Chriosd [Cladh Chrìosd, Bhatarsaigh/Vatersay] describing a stone there as having had a cross cut into it and that there is a very small hut where the bishop lived with a square stone on which he rested his book. The story describes how people used young cattle into the hut but that none ever came out alive.
Scope and Contents Archaeological note and story about the Carradh in Bearnary [Beàrnaraigh/Berneray] stating that it had writing on it which no one could read except one priest by the name of Ailein Donullach [Allan MacDonald] who could speak twelve languages. The story tells how a crew of fishermen who were stranded on Berneray amused themselves 'by shaking the carradh pillar to and fro. They threw it down and over the pre[cipice] and the pillar which stood the storm of ages was broken in three "halves" "tri...
Scope and Contents Detailed descriptions of items sent to the [National Museum of Antiquities, Edinburgh] by Alexander Carmichael, including a 'sculpture stone' from Bearnaray, Harris; a baptismal font from Pabbay, Barra; and 'Fingal's shoe', a 'shoe-like' stone from the Isle of Skye.
Dates: c 1870
Identifier: MS 121/ff. 99r-102r
Contents A treatise on the properties of inscribed stones, as indicated by the title 'On the carving of stones'. It is preceded by a short prologue where it is presented as the translated work of a Jewish philosopher called Tehel in this manuscript, but whose name's spelling could be Thetel or Zael. The content is similar to that of the previous text.Prologue: on f. 99r. It begins with the words Libellus cujusdam philosophi Judeorum Tehel nomine qui...
Dates: 15th century
Scope and Contents Note about a gravestone in Inch Kenneth, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire which reads 'Anoth[er] stone 1778 - Form sculp[tured] stone in native rock but beautifully sculp[te]d.'
Dates: 17 August 1886
Scope and Contents Note about a stone carving of a ship near Tobar Ghlun [Tobar a' Ghlùin, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire], on which is inscribed 'DS 1729. On the ship itself are letters which I cannot make out and along the place of the bowsprit are several letters unable to read in such a dark day. These last M I Y R'. He also notes the size of the well.
Dates: 29 August 1883
Scope and Contents Note about an inscribed stone in Gleann Lonain [Glen Lonan, Earra Ghaidheal/Argyll] which was reputed to bear a cross or word but Carmichael was unable to find the stone.
Scope and Contents Note collected from Duncan Cameron, police officer, Lochaline [Loch Àlainn, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] about burial sites on Am Muile/Isle of Mull. He states that there was a 'Cladh Briit' [St Bride's Graveyard] in an àiridh near Cailliach which contained a number of cut stones and crosses which the farmers put into their dykes. He also states that Cille Chriosd had stones with holes through them and Cladh Mhoire was situated down below Castle Calgary and is still used for burials. [Cladh...
Dates: 7 August 1886