Western Medieval Manuscripts
Scope and Contents
- MS 1-23: Biblical manuscripts. Bibles, parts of the Bible, Bible Histories; the versified Bible of Petrus de Riga; Lives of our Lord, the Blessed Virgin Mary, and other saints
- MS 24-66: Liturgical manuscripts. Antiphoner; breviaries; directories; grails; horae; martyrology; missals; pontifical; psalters; combined services; private prayer books
- MS 67-114: Theology. Apocryphal; commentaries; general; moral; mystical; sermons; patristic; miscellaneous
- MS 115-139: Philosophy. General, astronomy, including alchemy and astrology, logic, rhetoric, grammar.
- MS 140-166: Law. Canon Law; constitutions of religious orders; civil law; common law; constitutions of Knightly Orders and Secular Institutions.
- MS 116-181: Medicine.
- MS 182-198: History.
- MS 199-208: Literature. Classical; Medieval [MS.205-208 added later].
- MS 209-210: books partly in manuscript.
- MS 211-218: fragments (45 separate items).
- MS 219-230: Greek manuscripts.
- early 11th-16th centuries
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
17.5 linear metres
Other Finding Aids
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Western Medieval Manuscripts in Edinburgh University Library
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description