Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Created For = PJM
Found in 96 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Architectural drawings (68cm x 95cm) by Percy Johnson-Marshall, undertaken whilst a second year student at the Liverpool School of Architecture, for a project entitled "A memorial chapel / hall" . There is one sheet of elevations, one of plans and one of axonometric drawings. They are both in monochrome colours, drawn in pencil with water-colour wash and ink detail . This project was assessed on 1 November 1933.
Scope and Contents Architectural drawings (68cm x 100cm) by Percy Johnson-Marshall, undertaken whilst a fourth year student at the Liverpool School of Architecture, for a project entitled "a school for boys and girls". There is one site plan and one sheet of plans, elevations and axonometric drawings for a school chapel. These are drawn in pencil with water-colour wash and ink highlighting. In addition there is a sheet of research information and drawings on the subject of elementary schools.
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes on Teampul na Trianaid collected from John Mac Innon [John MacKinnon], Carnish [Teampull na Trionaid, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] including that it was built by Nin Mhic Dhuil Latharna [Nighean Mhic Dhùghaill, a daughter of MacDougall of Lorn] who went around building in different places to leave a name behind her. MacKinnon recalls seeing charred wood on top of the temple as a result of wood being burnt across Scotland in one night 'the...
Dates: 18 January 1871
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes collected from John MacKinnon, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist on the construction of Teampull na Trionaid. Included in the details are that the gable of the building fell down after people dug at the foundations to get the flagstone which were there. A man known as Uilleam Clachair, possibly William Paterson, who came from Assaint a Tua [Asainte/Assynt, Cataibh/Sutherland] to work at Baile Raghnaill/Balranald and Baile nan Caileach/Nunton...
Dates: 18 January 1871
Scope and Contents Archaeological note about 'Bo-na-cille', that there were stones with lime coming up with hooks and that there was the form of a church and [circle] there. Also notes that Cladh Baile-na-Cille is the name of the graveyard now at Scarista [Bodha na Cille and Scarasta both Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris].
Dates: November 1873
Scope and Contents Archaeological note about Mor nan Ceann U-i-nieasain/Naonisein, [Caibeal Moire nan Ceann or Caibeal Bhrianain, Uineasan, Bhatarsaigh/Vatersay] describing it as a burial place '29 x 11 [feet]' and the caibeal [chapel] in which people were buried as having fallen down. The size and composition of the ruins are described as is its situation and the surrounding area including details such as 'once a bury[ing] place now a rabbit warren...an island at high water and at low forms part of the Island of...
Scope and Contents Archaeological note about 'Teampul Cliamain' [Teampull Chliamainn/St Clement's Chapel] describing its location on the machair at Hosta [Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] and its dimensions. Carmichael also notes 'Leachain Hough us Hosta near Cill a Mhoiri an Colasay - Hough name of place where Temple is.' [Colbhasa/Colonsay, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire]
Dates: 20 November 1873
Archaeological notes and sketch plans of An Teampull Mor and Teampull Beag, Pabbay, Harris, May 1871
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes and sketch plans of An Teampull Mor and Teampull Beag, Pabbay, Harris [Teampull Mhòire and Teampull Beag, Pabaigh, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris]. The plans note the dimensions of the buildings and possibly their position in relation to one another. Carmichael describes the completeness and thickness of the walls and how the east end of the side walls 'bulge out very considerably'. He notes that, 'The building was got up inside boards as concrete cement is used now.'
Dates: May 1871
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on ancient chapels written at Keallun [Ceallan/Kallin, Griomasaigh/Grimsay] including that there is a fine view from from it and that this must be the chapel to which Martin Martin refers as there is no chapel on Rona [Rònaigh/Ronay]. Carmichael states that as Martin Martin only spoke of one chapel, the chapel and burying ground pointed out cannot have been in existence two hundred years before when Martin was writing. He refers to it as the Lowlanders Chapel and states...
Dates: 24 May 1870
Archaeological notes on Bogha na Cille, Tobar Rua and Carragh, Borve and accompanying sketch and story, 11 July 1870
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on Bogha na Cille [also Bogha na h-Eaglais or Bogha an Teampull, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris] describing it as having 'quite visible walls' being 16 or 18 fathoms deep on a good fishing bank opposite the Manse and Scarasta [Sgarasta]. Tobar Rua is described as being 'old & burnt' and built like the mouth of a drain'. The story tells how the south side of the sand bank between Taransay [Tarasaigh] and Loscintir [Losgaintir/Luskentyre] was so large 100 years ago that it...
Dates: 11 July 1870