Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Created For = PJM
Found in 96 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Second year assignments consists of drawings for assessed architectural assignments, undertaken by Percy Johnson-Marshall as a second year student on the Diploma of Architecture at the University of Liverpool. "A sculpture museum on an Italian lake", 1932 "A restaurant on the Thames at Henley", 1932 "An assembly hall and shops", 1933 "A country inn", 1933 ...
Scope and Contents Song entitled 'Oran nan Caibeal' probably collected from Penelope MacLellan, Ormacleit/Ormaclete, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist, beginning 'Caibeal Chlann ic Dhuil, Sen gun duil ri fhaighinn'. The song is composed of seventeen lines and has been scored through in ink with the following text written transversely across it 'B[ook] 2 P[age] [-] Trans[cribed] June 14 1869 A[lexander] A[rchibald] C[armichael].' The text contains a number of amendments in pencil.
Dates: 27 May 1869 and 14 June 1869
Scope and Contents Story collected from Alexander MacDonald, Cladach Chirceboist/Claddach Kirkibost, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist telling how funeral was going from Lirinnish to Killemhoire [Liernis/Liernish and Cille Mhoire/Kilmuir] when 'The day came on cur as cabhadh'. The put the corpse in Teampull na Trionaid in the hope that the weather would improve and if it didn't then they would bury it there. When the people left the church the south wall fell down and buried the corpse. The corpse was allowed to remain...
Dates: 20 January 1871
Scope and Contents Story about Alasdair MacColla that as long as he [avoided] 'Eaglais Lismore & Muil[eann] [Ghocaingo] or Muil[eann] Charnasary' he would prosper [St Moluag's Catherdral, Lios Mòr/Lismore, and Càrn-asaraidh/Carnassarie both Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire]. He burnt the two buildings and he came to grief. The church on Lismore remained without a roof for a hundred years.
Dates: September 1870
Scope and Contents Story about the Morair Ban [Am Morair Bàn or Sir Alexander MacDonald], who when visiting North Uist [Uibhist a Tuath] asked an old, intelligent man called 'Gillean mac Gillean' to visit the temple at Cairinis [Carinish] with him. When he asked Gillean when the temple was built he replied that it was 476 years ago and looked in a red book in his pocket and confirmed it. The builder was the second wife of the MacDonalds of the day daughter of MacDugall of Lorn.
Dates: 23 March 1869
Scope and Contents Story about Brianail, probably collected from Angus Gunn or Ann MacDonald née Gunn, Dail bho Thuath/North Dell, Nis/Ness, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis, in which Brianail, sister of St Ronan, went to Sula Sgeir [Ros is Cromba/Ross and Cromarty] because Ronan had commented on her ankle and so she went where she could not see the smoke from his house 'theid mi far nach faic mise ceo do thaighe'.The text is much abbreviated and unclear. The story also notes that St Ronan built a temple to his...
Dates: 27 October 1873
Scope and Contents Story about Caibeal Bharra [Cille-Bharra, Barraigh/Isle of Barra] that its stones were used by Colonel [Roderick] MacNeil to build roads and dykes in Eoligarry [Eòlaigearraidh], on the advice of a mason named [Peter] Dawson, and that the colonel never prospered after that. Carmichael describes the chapel as having been 'high & large. Full of skulls & bones taken up fr[om] the graves'. The story has been scored through lightly in pencil.
Dates: September 1872
Scope and Contents Story about Caibeal MhicCeallaich [Chapel MacCeallach, Cille Pheadair/Kilpheadar, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist] and where it is supposed to have been situated.
Dates: 29 March 1877
Story about Calum Cille [St Columba] and his travels around the islands of Scotland and Blàr na Cuigeal, September 1872
Scope and Contents Story about Calum Cille [St Columba] and his travels around the islands of Scotland probably collected from James Campbell, fisherman, Ceanntangabhal/Kentangval, Barraigh/Isle of Barra. The story notes that the castle on Loch Tangasdail was built by St Clair [Dùn Mhic Leòid, Loch Tangasdale, Barraigh/Isle of Barra], that St Clair married a woman from Kintail [Ceann Tàile, Ros is Cromba/Ross and Cromarty] and that he had eight hundred men who fought for him, although none of the men were from...
Dates: September 1872
Scope and Contents Story about churches built by Calum Cille [St Columba] that when he first arrived in Scotland he built a church in Uist [Uibhist] but he could still see Ireland from there so he pulled it down. He then went to the Isle of Skye [An t-Eilean Sgitheanach] and built a church there but could not see Ireland from it. It was the same in Aoi [Ì Chaluim Chille/Iona, Earra Ghàidheal, Argyllshire], which were the only two places from which he coudl not see Ireland. Text has been scored out as if...