Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Created For = PJM
Found in 96 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Story collected from Alexander MacDonald, Cladach Chirceboist/Claddach Kirkibost, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist which tells how Mac Thomais [Mac Thòmais] came home and built the west gable of the Temple [Teampull na Trionaid/Temple of the Trinity]. He meant to reroof the building too but Moraire Ban [Morair Bàn] would not let him. He adds that 'Sgeir ioc Thomais (?Ceiseam) is below the Temple' [Sgeir ic Coiseam].
Dates: 20 January 1871
Scope and Contents Story about Nighean Uspaid and St Columba's Chapel at Howmore [Caibeal nan Sagart/Caibeal nan Sagairt, Tobha Mòr, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist] probably collected from Neil Maceachain [Neil MacEachan, crofter, Tobha Beag/Howbeg]. The story states that Nighean Uspaid travelled with masons, preparing their food for them and they made a grave for her in all the churches in Scotland. The location of 'Leaba Nin Uspaid' is described, and the ancient and newer chapels are differentiated as Caibeal Mòr...
Scope and Contents Story about Pearsan Mòr, chaplain and son to MacNeil of Barra, who lived at Ciolla [Chiall, Barraigh/Isle of Barra] that his wife, concerned that he might be interested in a woman who lived at Cliat [Cliaid], arranged for him to be ambushed by the other woman's servants on his return from hunting on Àird Ghrèin at Ciste nan Cli'eann. Pearsan Mòr killed ten of the twelve men although two of them lived until the morning. He fought them until he fell at Meallach where he was buried and a chapel...
Dates: 24 September 1872
Scope and Contents Story collected from Keith Macdonald, Scarista [Sgarasta, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris], that he saw 'most distinctly' the walls of Bogha an Teampuill, which are submerged opposite Scarista beag [Sgarasta Bheag] and that 'the tangles were growing to a great extent over it'. 'He saw it to his great astonishment' as his hooks had got entangled with the long seaweed and he noticed lime shells on the seaweed which came up with his hooks.
Dates: November 1873
Scope and Contents Story about Temple Thòmais [Suainebost, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis] probably collected from Angus Gunn or Ann MacDonald née Gunn, Dail bho Thuath/North Dell, Nis/Ness, that its location was on the machair at Suainebost but that stones were taken from it to lengthen Teampull Pheadair.
Dates: 27 October 1873
Scope and Contents Story about the burial of An Romhanach [An Ròmanach or The Roman] telling how he was buried in the graveyard on Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire but was found on the surface of the ground in the morning and then appeared to someone in a dream and asked to be buried out of sight of the church. This was done and he was buried in the field north of the [first [grave]]. The story notes Lag an Roimh and Larach can an Romhanaich 'is on the other side of the road on S[outh] E[ast] side.'
Dates: 2 September 1870
Scope and Contents Story collected from Alex[ander] Macdonald or Alast[air] na h-ainne, Clad[dach] Kirkibost [Cladach Chirchboist, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] recalling the day that a wall fell down at Carnish Temple [Teampull na Trionaid]. The Dall mor [Dall Mòr] was holding a meeting there when he saw a bit of lime the size of a whelk fall and it occurred to him that the wall would fall down, so he whispered this to the Dall Mòr and the building was evacuated. 'They had hardly done so when the gable fell with a...
Dates: January 1871
Scope and Contents Story collected from Alexander MacDonald, Cladach Chirceboist/Claddach Kirkibost, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist which reads 'Teampull Clann a Phiocair was built about the same time as an To[bh]ta Mhor. The whole space bet[ween] the two was once covered.' [Chapel of the Mac Vicars and Teampull na Trionaid/Temple of the Trinity]
Dates: 15 July 1870 to 19 October 1871
Scope and Contents Story about the plague which struck Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris during 'Linn Mh[ic] Aula' which 'carried away' many people. It tells how 'fear drove the people in floods to the church hold[in]g each others hands coming to church + sing[ing] songs. Only 3 persons came out on 3[rd] day. Church full of skulls.' The story notes how Angus, the son of Mr Aula [MacAulay] was buried opposite the pulpit on the north side of the wall alongside it.
Dates: November 1873
Scope and Contents Story collected from Hector MacLeod, aged 85, at Caisteal Bhuirgh/Borve Castle, Lionacleit/Linaclate, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula, telling how a woman from the MacCormaig family in Killpheadair [Cille Pheadair/Kilpheder, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist] went to work at Balranald [Baile Raghnaill, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] and got married there. Not long after she married she fell ill and died. When her wake folk were resting her friends 'who came in g[rea]t force' took away her corpse but they were...
Dates: 20 January 1871