Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Created For = PJM
Found in 96 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Note that the caibeal [chapel] and leacain cinn [headstones] at Cilleachain [possibly Balimackillichan], Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire, 'are still seen on the Eirebal mor'. Carmichael notes that theres are '3 Eirebals' namely Eirebal Mòr, Eirebal Beag and Eirebal-an-fhaing. The last places on the island to retain wood were Aoine and Alasra.
Dates: September 1870
Scope and Contents Note about Caibeal Cui-Chros-é and Colla mac Spéir collected from Daniel Macinnon [Daniel or Donald MacKinnon] Grin [Grithean/Grean, Barraigh/Isle of Barra]. The note describes the situation of the chapel as being 'fo bhonn na beinne bige on the south side of Beinn Eoligearry at Meallach' [Beinn Bheag Eolaigearraidh], that it is marked by a standing stone and that Colla mac Spéir built it but was also burned in it. Carmichael notes that it was referred to in Martin Martin's book ...
Dates: 12 August 1871
Scope and Contents Note about Cilleandraist that it was situated at Lag a chlai [possibly Lag a Chlaidh, Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] close to the lake [Loch Baile a' Ghobhainn]. Bones and ancient ruins were found there and a well built over it. The rest of the note seems to indicate that sites belong to the church, Barcaldine [Campbell of Barcaldine] and Airds [Campbell of Airds].
Dates: 2 September 1870
Scope and Contents Note about Crois dugh Lios Moire [Crois Dubh Lios Mòr or Black Cross of Lismore, Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] and accompanying diagram. The note tells how all the base of the cross was where banns were proclaimed when there was no service in the church. The stone is described as not being native to the island and the diagram marks the size of its edges and the length of the arms of the cross. The cross is described as having falled down, the back of it being broken. The pencil...
Dates: September 1870
Scope and Contents Note collected from Angus MacAulay, aged 82, An Cnoc/Knock, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis about Eaglais na h-Aoi [Eaglais na h-Aoidhe] that it is the oldest church and burying place in the Isle of Lewis and is connected with St Columba. Also notes that John Wylie [built it], that he had a house in Stornoway [Steòrnabhagh] and that he was one of the people who had come from Fife [Fiobha].
Dates: 29 August 1868
Scope and Contents Note about gravestones on Inch Kenneth, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire including that of Sir Allan Maclean, describing its dimensions and carvings: 'effigy in full high[land] dress target and clogaid [helmet]'. Also notes that the stone used in the church is 'Iona stone' and describes some of the stones inside the building. Carmichael adds that there is a good well east of the [resting place] of Macinnon [MacKinnon] of Gribun, which itself is east of the church.
Dates: 17 August 1886
Scope and Contents Note about 'Lag Na Comraich' probably collected from John Fraser, crofter, Balgy [Balgaidh, Ros is Cromba/Ross and Cromarty], age 69, which states that it is 'four plains trees at equi distance - 10 to 12 f[ee]t and 12 or 14 feet long - Gird up the side of a cell – close to high road – Holy well below road'. Text has been scored through as if transcribed elsewhere.
Dates: 17 September 1909
Scope and Contents Note about priests preaching on Sgeir a' Phobuil [An Apainn/Appin] and that Cill Mhodain in Ardchattan [Cille Mhaodain/Àird Chatain] was the oldest [priory] in Argyllshire, probably collected from Donald MacColl [foxhunter, Glencreran, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire]. Also notes that Sir Walter Scott was in Glencreran several times, while Donald was there.
Dates: 29 August 1883
Scope and Contents Note about St Columba's first attempt to build a church on Iona [Ì Chaluim Chille], in which the walls were put up during the day but fell down at night owing to the spirit of darkness. Oran or Oranus was sacrificed to stop this happening. Text scored through perhaps to indicate it has been transcribed elsewhere.
Scope and Contents Note about stones at Cille Charain [Cille Chiarain/Kilchiaran, Ìle/Islay] and accompanying sketch that the stones were '5 x 3 1/2' [feet] and that there were 'Sev[e]r[al] in chapel one gable up all rest down'.
Dates: 6 June 1887