Skip to main content

Teampull na Trionaid North Uist Inverness-shire Scotland

 Subject
Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 14 Collections and/or Records:

Archaeological and historical notes on Teampul na Trianaid, 18 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/134
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes on Teampul na Trianaid collected from John Mac Innon [John MacKinnon], Carnish [Teampull na Trionaid, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] including that it was built by Nin Mhic Dhuil Latharna [Nighean Mhic Dhùghaill, a daughter of MacDougall of Lorn] who went around building in different places to leave a name behind her. MacKinnon recalls seeing charred wood on top of the temple as a result of wood being burnt across Scotland in one night 'the...
Dates: 18 January 1871

Archaeological and historical notes on the construction of Teampull na Trionaid, 18 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/136
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes collected from John MacKinnon, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist on the construction of Teampull na Trionaid. Included in the details are that the gable of the building fell down after people dug at the foundations to get the flagstone which were there. A man known as Uilleam Clachair, possibly William Paterson, who came from Assaint a Tua [Asainte/Assynt, Cataibh/Sutherland] to work at Baile Raghnaill/Balranald and Baile nan Caileach/Nunton...
Dates: 18 January 1871

Archaeological notes on ancient chapels, 24 May 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW150/81
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on ancient chapels written at Keallun [Ceallan/Kallin, Griomasaigh/Grimsay] including that there is a fine view from from it and that this must be the chapel to which Martin Martin refers as there is no chapel on Rona [Rònaigh/Ronay]. Carmichael states that as Martin Martin only spoke of one chapel, the chapel and burying ground pointed out cannot have been in existence two hundred years before when Martin was writing. He refers to it as the Lowlanders Chapel and states...
Dates: 24 May 1870

Field notebook of Alexander Carmichael, 15 July 1870 to 19 October 1871

 Series
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael, inscribed on the inside cover with 'Alexander A Carmichael Inland Revenue Lochmaddy N[orth] Uist 15/7 1870 Note Book No 8'. The majority of this notebook contains material collected on Tarasaigh/Taransay from the MacDonalds at Paible House, Mor or Marion MacQueen and Donald MacKinnon including notes on the island's archaeology, local history and geographical changes, with stories of how coastal erosion revealed burial sites and renditions of the...
Dates: 15 July 1870 to 19 October 1871

Note about the building of Temp[ull] Trian[aid] and S[aint] Michael, 18 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/139
Scope and Contents Note which reads 'Aft[er] build[ing] Te[a]mp[ull] Trian[aid], the fui[gh]leach was made to build S[aint] Michael' [Teampull na Trionaid, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist/Teampull Naomh Mhìcheil, Griomsaigh/Grimsay].
Dates: 18 January 1871

Note clarifying the names of people at Carnish, 20 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/154
Scope and Contents Note clarifying the names of people at Carnish [Cairinis, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] that the Bo mhaol bhuidhe [bò mhaol bhuide] came to Mac Ille Phadruig 'ic Dhonil [mac Ille Phadruig 'ic Dhòmhnaill], that Mac Coiseam was the man who built the west side of Teampull na Trionaid/Temple of the Trinity and that Nic Coiseam was muime [nurse] to Mac Iain ic Sheumais.
Dates: 20 January 1871

Story about a wall collapsing on a coffin in Teampull na Trionaid, 20 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/160
Scope and Contents Story collected from Alexander MacDonald, Cladach Chirceboist/Claddach Kirkibost, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist telling how funeral was going from Lirinnish to Killemhoire [Liernis/Liernish and Cille Mhoire/Kilmuir] when 'The day came on cur as cabhadh'. The put the corpse in Teampull na Trionaid in the hope that the weather would improve and if it didn't then they would bury it there. When the people left the church the south wall fell down and buried the corpse. The corpse was allowed to remain...
Dates: 20 January 1871

Story about an insult made at Teampull na Trionaid, 20 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/164
Scope and Contents Story collected from Alexander MacDonald, Cladach Chirceboist/Claddach Kirkibost, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist telling how when MacDhonil Ghlais [MacDhòmhnaill Ghlais] came raiding at Carinish [Cairinis] they killed a cow and feasted on it in the Temple [Teampull na Trionaid/Temple of the Trinity]. One of the men took his first mouthful of beef saying 'Ichidh mi so eir tailcas na Trianaid' and subsequently choked on it. A woman struck him between the shouldders saying, 'A Thrianaid a Thrianaid...
Dates: 20 January 1871

Story about Mac Thomais building part of Teampull na Trionaid, 20 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/161
Scope and Contents Story collected from Alexander MacDonald, Cladach Chirceboist/Claddach Kirkibost, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist which tells how Mac Thomais [Mac Thòmais] came home and built the west gable of the Temple [Teampull na Trionaid/Temple of the Trinity]. He meant to reroof the building too but Moraire Ban [Morair Bàn] would not let him. He adds that 'Sgeir ioc Thomais (?Ceiseam) is below the Temple' [Sgeir ic Coiseam].
Dates: 20 January 1871

Story about Naomh Blianain blessing the graveyards of the Long Isle [Western Isles], 28 May 1869

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW150/60
Scope and Contents Story collected from Duncan MacLellan, mason and crofter, Carnan [Càrnan, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist]. The story tells how Rìgh Lochlann's two children Mor and Aula Dearg were playing outside one day when they found a 'coit an dà ramh' [small boat]. They got into it and although the day had started pleasantly a wind soon got up and carried them away. They landed at Amhuinn Hough [Abhainn Thobha Mòr/Howmore River]. They grew up and Mòr died and was buried at Hough [Tobha Mòr/Howmore]. When her...
Dates: 28 May 1869