Cairinis North Uist Inverness-shire Scotland
Subject Source: Local sources
Found in 21 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes on Teampul na Trianaid collected from John Mac Innon [John MacKinnon], Carnish [Teampull na Trionaid, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] including that it was built by Nin Mhic Dhuil Latharna [Nighean Mhic Dhùghaill, a daughter of MacDougall of Lorn] who went around building in different places to leave a name behind her. MacKinnon recalls seeing charred wood on top of the temple as a result of wood being burnt across Scotland in one night 'the...
Dates: 18 January 1871
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes collected from John MacKinnon, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist on the construction of Teampull na Trionaid. Included in the details are that the gable of the building fell down after people dug at the foundations to get the flagstone which were there. A man known as Uilleam Clachair, possibly William Paterson, who came from Assaint a Tua [Asainte/Assynt, Cataibh/Sutherland] to work at Baile Raghnaill/Balranald and Baile nan Caileach/Nunton...
Dates: 18 January 1871
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on ancient chapels written at Keallun [Ceallan/Kallin, Griomasaigh/Grimsay] including that there is a fine view from from it and that this must be the chapel to which Martin Martin refers as there is no chapel on Rona [Rònaigh/Ronay]. Carmichael states that as Martin Martin only spoke of one chapel, the chapel and burying ground pointed out cannot have been in existence two hundred years before when Martin was writing. He refers to it as the Lowlanders Chapel and states...
Dates: 24 May 1870
Copy of a manuscript about the family of Mac Iain vic Hemish [Donald MacDonald, Mac Iain Mhic Sheumais] and accompanying note, 9 April 1866
Scope and Contents Copy of a manuscript about Mac Iain vic Hemish [Donald MacDonald, Mac Iain Mhic Sheumais] originally written by James MacDonald at Kalin [Ceallan/Kallin, Griomsaigh/Grimsay] June 1837. The text describes Mac Iain Mhic Sheumais's prowess as a warrior from an early age including his involvement in the Battle of Cuilen in Skye [An Cuilthionn/Cuillin, An t-Eilean Sgitheanach/Isle of Skye] where he killed the MacLeod of Gesto. There is also a detailed account of a raid by MacLeods of Harris on...
Dates: 9 April 1866
Scope and Contents Custom and story written down by John Ewen MacRury, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula entitled 'Souming' [number and type of stock an individual croft can graze on a common grazings] describing the ages at which cows were included in the 'leibhidh' [levy], how in 1810 Lord MacDonald and MacCoinnich Bodhar of Lewis [MacKenzie of Seaforth, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis] introduced new rules while Clanranald had no souming until 1820. MacRury states that in 1830 his grandfather had to send five heifers...
Dates: 15 December 1894
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael containing primarily songs and stories collected in Miùghlaigh/Mingulay, Barraigh/Barra, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist and Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis. The main informants are Roderick MacNeil or Ruairidh an Rùma from Mingulay and Penelope MacLellan of Ormacleit/Ormaclete. The bulk of the material from MacNeil relates to the southernmost islands of the Hebrides and covers topics such as bird-fowling, the island way of life, place-names,...
Dates: c1868 to 16 June 1876
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael, inscribed on the inside cover with 'Alexander A Carmichael Inland Revenue Lochmaddy N[orth] Uist 15/7 1870 Note Book No 8'. The majority of this notebook contains material collected on Tarasaigh/Taransay from the MacDonalds at Paible House, Mor or Marion MacQueen and Donald MacKinnon including notes on the island's archaeology, local history and geographical changes, with stories of how coastal erosion revealed burial sites and renditions of the...
Dates: 15 July 1870 to 19 October 1871
Scope and Contents Note about gravestones, which are 'on end in sand on w[est] side of Cairnish bay' [Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] and tree stumps which are visible at low water on Pabbay [Pabaigh] which are two feet in diameter.
Dates: February 1874
Scope and Contents Note about Raol Donn and Blar an Dronga [Raghnall Donn MacDonald and Blàr and Dronga/Battle of Drong] noting that Raghnall was to fight Siol Leoid [Sìol Leòid or MacLeods] at Loch nan Arm near Howbeag [Tobha Beag/Howbeg, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist] and that his brother Dòmhnall was going to let him be killed by MacLeod. Raghnall's men lost and word was sent to [Dòmhnall] Mac Iain ic Sheumais on Eriskay that day '& he started running & got to Carnish [Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a...
Scope and Contents Note clarifying the names of people at Carnish [Cairinis, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] that the Bo mhaol bhuidhe [bò mhaol bhuide] came to Mac Ille Phadruig 'ic Dhonil [mac Ille Phadruig 'ic Dhòmhnaill], that Mac Coiseam was the man who built the west side of Teampull na Trionaid/Temple of the Trinity and that Nic Coiseam was muime [nurse] to Mac Iain ic Sheumais.
Dates: 20 January 1871