Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Created For = NAHSTE
Found in 255 Collections and/or Records:
A late Bronze Age find from Pyotdykes, Angus, Scotland, with associated gold, cloth, leather and wool remains, 1964
Scope and Contents Located in A.B.R.O. Reprints 1962 - 1964. Volume 3 of 19.
Account of a fishing trip around Mingulay with accompanying place-name notes, descriptions and stories, 23 May 1869
Scope and Contents Account by Alexander Carmichael of a fishing trip around Miulay [Miùghlaigh/Mingulay] with accompanying place-name notes, descriptions and stories. Carmichael notes geographical features such as high points, caves, rocks or arches; archaeological sites such as dùns or graveyards; places people have used for looking after livestock or catching birds and fish, noting breeding grounds or habits of some birds; and sea-faring items such as the conditions of the sea or navigation techniques. One...
Dates: 23 May 1869
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes on Caisteal Bhuiri [Caisteal Bhuirgh/Borve Castle, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula] and Clanranald. Among the notes it is stated that Raol mac Alein [Raghnall mac Ailein] was the last to inhabit Caisteal Bhuirgh and that he added the porch and extended the west side of it. The castle was originally built on a sgeir mhara and Biorlain mac ic Ailein [Clanranald's birlinn] was anchored 'in a poll' to the east side of it. After that, children used to swim there. In...
Dates: 18 January 1871
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes on Teampul na Trianaid collected from John Mac Innon [John MacKinnon], Carnish [Teampull na Trionaid, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] including that it was built by Nin Mhic Dhuil Latharna [Nighean Mhic Dhùghaill, a daughter of MacDougall of Lorn] who went around building in different places to leave a name behind her. MacKinnon recalls seeing charred wood on top of the temple as a result of wood being burnt across Scotland in one night 'the...
Dates: 18 January 1871
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes collected from John MacKinnon, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist on the construction of Teampull na Trionaid. Included in the details are that the gable of the building fell down after people dug at the foundations to get the flagstone which were there. A man known as Uilleam Clachair, possibly William Paterson, who came from Assaint a Tua [Asainte/Assynt, Cataibh/Sutherland] to work at Baile Raghnaill/Balranald and Baile nan Caileach/Nunton...
Dates: 18 January 1871
Scope and Contents Archaeological and natural history notes on Pabaigh/Pabbay, describing a circle about a cave there called Cearcal Teinteanach [An Cearcall] where 'The coruscations of the sea flashing about the circle make it appear like sparks of fire flying from the circle.' A 'large cave' of 'unknown length' and 'most difficult to find' is described as being below this circle. Ashes were found in the cave. Carmichael records that he spoke to someone who knew where the cave was, who said that his 'very small...
Scope and Contents Notes by Alexander Carmichael, perhaps the draft of an article, on various topics including Borve Castle in Benbecula; shell-mounds; the 'Good John of Islay' and his wife; 'Teampull na Trionaid'; ruins at Cairinish; the castle of the Clanranalds. Refers to an article by 'Captain Feilden' from the 'Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow'.
Scope and Contents Archaeological note about a circle at Cillant-suidhe, Achadhun [Cille an t-Suidhe, Achadun, Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal] describing it as 'under rushes & ferns especially iris. 37 yards x 37. Hid from sea by a small ridge in a field low lying between ridges.'
Dates: 23 August 1886
Scope and Contents Archaeological note about a skeleton which was found 'in a sit[tin]g pos[i]t[ion] stuck in a cleft of a rock s[outh] of Tear Che or Cherun' [Tobar Chè, Tarasaigh/Taransay] and that Tobar Chè 'is ab[ou]t 55 y[ar]ds due w[est] covered over with a face it goes back 60 or 70 f[ee]t'.
Dates: 10 July 1870
Scope and Contents Archaeological note about a taigh talamh [earth house] on Sanndray [Sanndraigh/Sandray], probably collected from Roderick MacNeil, aged 88, crofter, Miùghlaigh/Mingulay. It is described as big enough for a man to stand up in with many chambers, situated about three quarters of a mile north west of the Dùn [Dùn Mhic Rìgh na Sorach].