Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Created For = NAHSTE
Found in 141 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents A list of ailments and cures for animal diseases including 'An Teas Broillein', 'An Fhearnach Fhirionn' 'An Fhearnach Bhoirionn', 'Bun Dearg', 'An Galar Tarsuinn', 'A Mhareac Shìth' and 'A Chairt Malamhant'.
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes on Teampul na Trianaid collected from John Mac Innon [John MacKinnon], Carnish [Teampull na Trionaid, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] including that it was built by Nin Mhic Dhuil Latharna [Nighean Mhic Dhùghaill, a daughter of MacDougall of Lorn] who went around building in different places to leave a name behind her. MacKinnon recalls seeing charred wood on top of the temple as a result of wood being burnt across Scotland in one night 'the...
Dates: 18 January 1871
Scope and Contents Archaeological note on Tarasaigh/Taransay sites exposed by coastal erosion describing how faces of the bank are left exposed by the sea and how layers of shells and darker sand with the ends of buildings can be seen and how 'By the side of some old and beautifully built expose[d] wall is the root of the gallan at least 4f[ee]t down fr[om the] sun.'
Dates: 8 July 1870
Archaeological notes on Kildonan and accompanying notes on Flora MacDonald and her husband, 24 May 1870
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on Kildonan [Cill Donnain, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist]. The various sites relating to St Donain are described as Eilean Donain or Isle Donain, which is where the saint's house was, the house being '50 x 26 feet with several surrounding ruins' and the island itself being 70 yards long by 50 yards wide. Cladh Donain [Cille Dhonnain] is described as a peninsula separated from Eilean Donain by another island, the relative distances being noted, and containing a ruined chapel and...
Dates: 24 May 1870
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on Loch Sgadavagh Isle [Loch Sgadabhagh, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] including a sketch plan of the ruins there with their dimensions, noting that there is a place for the boat at the door an destimating the age [of ruins] to be two or three hundred years old. Carmichael states that the loch is named after the island of Scadabhagh which is 'low, green & flat' and notes that thick heather or eilteach grows there. He adds that there is a pillar about five feet high at...