Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Created For = CW
Found in 30 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes on Teampul na Trianaid collected from John Mac Innon [John MacKinnon], Carnish [Teampull na Trionaid, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] including that it was built by Nin Mhic Dhuil Latharna [Nighean Mhic Dhùghaill, a daughter of MacDougall of Lorn] who went around building in different places to leave a name behind her. MacKinnon recalls seeing charred wood on top of the temple as a result of wood being burnt across Scotland in one night 'the...
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes collected from John MacKinnon, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist on the construction of Teampull na Trionaid. Included in the details are that the gable of the building fell down after people dug at the foundations to get the flagstone which were there. A man known as Uilleam Clachair, possibly William Paterson, who came from Assaint a Tua [Asainte/Assynt, Cataibh/Sutherland] to work at Baile Raghnaill/Balranald and Baile nan Caileach/Nunton...
Scope and Contents Archaeological note collected from Duncan Cameron, police officer, Lochaline [Loch Àlainn, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] which reads 'Cladh Muluag Treisnish 3ft standing cross stone. Small arms of cross - worn.' [Cladh Moluaig/Kilmaluig, Triesnis/Treshnish, Am Muile/Isle of Mull]
Archaeological notes about Crois an t-Suidheachain, Leapaidh Chaluim Chille and Taigh Coimhidich/Garradh cail na Guaile, 1867
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes about Crois an t-Suidheachain, Leapaidh Chaluim Chille and Taigh Coimhidich/Garradh cail na Guaile, Miùghlaigh/Mingulay including dimensions and locations of the stones with a small diagram of the arrangment of the Leapaidh Chaluim Cille. Carmichael also mentions Leaba Treoireidh and Leaba MhicNeil on the side of Beinn ic a Phie [Cnoc Cnoc-a-Phì]. He notes stones that are on the south of the island facing Beàrnaraigh/Berneray adding that 'Along the whole side of this hill...
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes and sketchs of Dun Loch an duin and Sinedal [Dùn Loch an Dùin and Sionadail Tarasaigh/Taransay] describing how Dùn Loch an Dùin is 'a round dun on a small lake with a clachan straight to it' and as being 'up & entire within the mem[ory] of people living'. The sketches show it in profile and in plan, noting some of its dimensions. The sketch of Sionadail notes a small mill or millstone and the measurements of a raised cross on the upper stone.
Archaeological notes on Crois-Ch-Chille [Crois Chaluim Chille] and Tobar C-Chille [Tobar Chaluim Chille], 1867
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on Crois-Ch-Chille and Tobar C-Chille [Crois Chaluim Chille/Columba's Cross and Tobar Chaluim Chille/Columba's Well, Beàrnaraigh/Berneray], noting the height of the cross and the position of an altar next to it and a leab-a-chràidh [leabaidh c] composed of two stones one of which was where Calum Cille prayed and the other where he slept. He notes that this was when Calum Cille consecrated the burial place. Tobar Chaluim Chille is described as a font rather than a well as it...
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael. Written on the inside front cover is '2/9 1870. Oban' and on the flyleaf is '[deleted: Twas] Friday 2 Sep[tember]. 1870. 12 noon from Ob[an]'. Folios 1-3r and 75r to 117v are blank. The text on folio 3v and 4r and 4v is written updside down and is later text (29 January 1875). The contents are in two distinct sections, the first being material collected on Lios Mòr/Lismore and the second being material collected in South Uist. Much of the...
Scope and Contents Notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael containing songs, poems, tales, names, vocabulary and expressions collected in the Outer Hebrides [Na h-Eileanan an Iar]. The first part of the volume contains transcriptions taken as Carmichael listened to informants in 1877 while the second part appears to be copies of previous transcriptions of material collected by Carmichael and Rev Malcolm MacPhail in 1874 and written into the notebook in 1891. Amongst the material is a version of the lament...
Scope and Contents Note about a Celtic cross at Cloi na Mac Rì [Glenamachrie, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire]. The location is given as a round sharp hillock close to the road but the original location as 'down behind garden and outhouses'.
Scope and Contents Note which reads 'The door of the church on top of the Crois was in the west.' [St Moluag's Cathedral, Crois Dubh Lios Mòr or Black Cross of Lismore, Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire.]