North Uist Inverness-shire Scotland
Subject Source: Local sources
Found in 238 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Address for a Mal[colm] Macdonald originally from Paible, being 29 Lutton Place, [Edinburgh].
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes on Caisteal Bhuiri [Caisteal Bhuirgh/Borve Castle, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula] and Clanranald. Among the notes it is stated that Raol mac Alein [Raghnall mac Ailein] was the last to inhabit Caisteal Bhuirgh and that he added the porch and extended the west side of it. The castle was originally built on a sgeir mhara and Biorlain mac ic Ailein [Clanranald's birlinn] was anchored 'in a poll' to the east side of it. After that, children used to swim there. In...
Dates: 18 January 1871
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes on Teampul na Trianaid collected from John Mac Innon [John MacKinnon], Carnish [Teampull na Trionaid, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] including that it was built by Nin Mhic Dhuil Latharna [Nighean Mhic Dhùghaill, a daughter of MacDougall of Lorn] who went around building in different places to leave a name behind her. MacKinnon recalls seeing charred wood on top of the temple as a result of wood being burnt across Scotland in one night 'the...
Dates: 18 January 1871
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes collected from John MacKinnon, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist on the construction of Teampull na Trionaid. Included in the details are that the gable of the building fell down after people dug at the foundations to get the flagstone which were there. A man known as Uilleam Clachair, possibly William Paterson, who came from Assaint a Tua [Asainte/Assynt, Cataibh/Sutherland] to work at Baile Raghnaill/Balranald and Baile nan Caileach/Nunton...
Dates: 18 January 1871
Scope and Contents Archaeological note about a wall at Cliatar-fo thua [Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] described as 'beaut[ifully] built app[ears] ab[ou]t 2 fathoms visible'. Also notes that 'Leab[a] fhalaich Leaspuic oig Mantach at Croc-an [Fhanais]'.
Dates: November 1873
Scope and Contents Archaeological note about 'Teampul Cliamain' [Teampull Chliamainn/St Clement's Chapel] describing its location on the machair at Hosta [Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] and its dimensions. Carmichael also notes 'Leachain Hough us Hosta near Cill a Mhoiri an Colasay - Hough name of place where Temple is.' [Colbhasa/Colonsay, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire]
Dates: 20 November 1873
Scope and Contents Archaeological note and diagram of Leaba mhiosachain at Craoineval [Leaba a' Mhiosachan, Craonabhal/Craonaval, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] described as being halfway up the north west shoulder of the hill. Carmichael describes a heather-covered circle which 'seems underground' in the centre of which is a cist. At the end of the leaba is another cist. The dimensions of the leaba are noted on the diagram and noted as being outside on the lower side is a standing stone.
Dates: October 1870
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on ancient chapels written at Keallun [Ceallan/Kallin, Griomasaigh/Grimsay] including that there is a fine view from from it and that this must be the chapel to which Martin Martin refers as there is no chapel on Rona [Rònaigh/Ronay]. Carmichael states that as Martin Martin only spoke of one chapel, the chapel and burying ground pointed out cannot have been in existence two hundred years before when Martin was writing. He refers to it as the Lowlanders Chapel and states...
Dates: 24 May 1870
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on Bearnaray Harris [Beàrnaraigh/Berneray, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris] made in the company of 'Mrs MacNeill Newton & her sister Miss Famy Macdonald Scolpaig & her brother Mr Macdonald Newton. Among the shell mound on Borve machair' [Newton and Scolpaig, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist and Borgh/Borve, Beàrnaraigh/Berneray]. Carmichael describes 'Heaps of stones here & there & rows of stones on edge generally in a circle or a sphere' of various sizes and also heaps...
Dates: 29 April 1871
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on Loch Sgadavagh Isle [Loch Sgadabhagh, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] including a sketch plan of the ruins there with their dimensions, noting that there is a place for the boat at the door an destimating the age [of ruins] to be two or three hundred years old. Carmichael states that the loch is named after the island of Scadabhagh which is 'low, green & flat' and notes that thick heather or eilteach grows there. He adds that there is a pillar about five feet high at...