Primo designatur..., 1680's
Scope and Contents
Curiosities intervene: a writeup, possibly in the hand of one Robert Morrison, of everything known about the plant substance Nicotine; two more broadsheet cuttings of the mathematical showdown between Pitcairne and Young (see C187); a 1700 note on scientific Greek, apparently by the Dean of Christchurch (then Henry Aldrich--see item A139); an epigram on or by Gresham; a printed tractate by John Wallis on the proper duties of a Savilian Professor.
C196 contains, out of sequence, C197, bearing our conservator's pencilled number 493, which document has its own entry.
- Gregory, David, 1659-1708 (professor of mathematics, University of Edinburgh, and Savilian Professor of Astronomy, University of Oxford) (Person)
From the Fonds: 0.5 metre
- Aldrich, Henry, fl1995 (Dean of Christ Church, Oxford)
- Pitcairne, Archibald, 1652-1713 (Scottish physician, amateur mathematician and poet)
- Sluse, 1622-1685 (Belgian mathematician)
- Wallis, John, 1616-1703 (professor of geometry, University of Oxford)
- Young, John, fl1683 (Mathematics chair in Edinburgh University)