Papers regarding the Centre for Reproductive Biology, 1970-1983
Scope and Contents
- minutes of the meetings of various committees, including the Steering Committee for Reproductive Biology and the Reproductive Biology Building Project Sub-Committee;
- papers relating to grants and funding, including applications to the Ford Foundation, the Medical Research Council, the Rockefeller Foundation and the World Health Organisation;
- general correspondence regarding building and personnel.
- Creation: 1970-1983
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Open, subject to researcher completing a Data Protection undertaking form.
Biographical / Historical
The Centre for Reproductive Biology stemmed from a proposal made to the University in October 1970 by David T. Baird, Beatty and Anne McLaren in association with Richard V. Short. They argued for the establishment of a multidisciplinary centre for reproductive biology in Edinburgh, in recognition of the increasing role of reproductive biology in medical, agricultural and social problems. Additional impetus was provided when the Medical Research Council invited medical schools throughout Britain to compete for the establishment of a new Unit of Reproductive Biology. The Centre was to incorporate the existing MRC Unit of Reproductive Biology and the independent University Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. The Centre was housed in a newly constructed building on a site made available by the Regional Hospital Board at the Royal Infirmary, partially with a grant of £266,000 from the Ford Foundation. The delay in the building's completion meant that Beatty was close to retiring by the time of its opening, so in 1977 he withdrew from the Centre. The Centre was commissioned in July 1979 and was officially opened a year later by Simone Veil.
CLX-A-1097 - CLX-A-1100
- From the Fonds: Beatty, Richard Alan, 1915-2005 (reproductive biologist) (Person)