MS 220: Quatuor Evangelia Graece (a Tetraevangelion), early 13th century
Some illuminated initial letters; highly illuminated initial letters to gospels; illuminated gospel titles and Greek-style headpieces (76r, 140r, 248r). 76r has later additions.
The entire MS has gold leaf head, tail and fore-edge. The Inside Upper and Lower Boards have marbled paper which appears to have been stuck on between those and the first and last fly leaves.
- early 13th century
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
1 bound MS volume
- David Laing signed fly leaf i (verso).
- 7v (end of quire γ') has the pencil note, “for quire δ' see after quire μδ'”.
- Non-scribal informal hands assumed to be notes from later possessors.
- Old pencil/black ink folio count in early Arabic numerals (3 and 6 are regularly written in reverse; numbers such as 51 are occasionally written 501), which would appear to match leaf count prior to the loss of quires α' and β'. Counting restarts for each gospel and skips numbers in quires where leaves appear to be missing.
- Later pencil folio count matches current arrangement of quires and leaves.
- Ex libris University of Edinburgh stamps on 1r, 327v (et al.).
Binding: Later, Western binding based on greaves along spine and raised outside upper and lower boards (leaves are not flush with binding edge). Evidence suggests MS 220 has been rebound since original writing. Quire markings are frequently cut off at the head or tail of leaves, suggesting a later reduction in size. Older pencil folio count is also often partially cut off at the fore-edge. Quire δ' has been mistakenly placed between quires μδ' and με', and runs from 312 to 319. Quire μβ' is a later interpolation, replacing a possibly damaged original. The hand is a later imitation of the original in black ink, and the text matches perfectly what should be there, although line count is inconsistent both internally and with the rest of the manuscript. The quality of parchment is vastly inferior to the rest and features copious worm marks.
Quires: iii(3) + 7(1x7) + 71(8x8) + 75(1x4) + 235(20x8) + 247(2x6) + 327(10x8) + vi(3)
Quire signatures: γ' (7v), δ' (312r/319v), ε' (8r/15v), ϛ' (16r/23v), ζ' ([24r]/31v), η' (39v), θ' ([40r]/47v), ι' (48r/55v), ια' (56r/63v), ιβ' (64r/71v), ιγ' (none), ιδ' (76r), ιε' (84r/91v), ιϛ' (92r), ιζ' (100r/[107v]), ιη' (108r/[115v]), ιθ' (116r/[123v]), κ' (124r/131v), κα' (132r/139v), κβ' (140r/[147v]), κγ' (148r/[155v]), κδ' (156r/[163v]), κε' (164r/171v), κϛ' (172r/179v), κζ' (180r/187v), κη' (188r/195v), κθ' ([196r]/203v), λ' (204r/211v), λα' (212r/219v), λβ' (220r/227v), λγ' (228r/235v), (λδ´missing), λε' (242r/247v), λϛ' (255v), λζ' ([256r]/263v), λη' (264r/271v), λθ' (272r/279v), μα' (280r), μβ' (none), μγ' (296r/303v), μδ' (304r/311v), με' (320r). (NB:  indicate obscured signature)
Ink: Main text: brown (except quire μβ', which is black); illuminations red/brown. Paratext: Red; black; pencil; gold.
Blank and lost leaves: 73v/74r originally blank; flyleaves i-vi also blank. Missing quires: α', β', μ'. Missing leaves: γ' (1st), ιγ' (1st, 6th-8th), λδ' (1st, 8th), λε' (6th, 7th).