Skip to main content

Comprehensive Development Areas: Stepney / Poplar, 1940-1961

 Sub-Series
Identifier: PJM/LCC/E/2
Comprehensive development areas: Stepney / Poplar consists of:
  1. general papers, (1940-1961)
  2. Lansbury Comprehensive Development Area, (1940s-1950s)
  3. other areas, (1950s)
  4. plans, (1946-1950s)

Dates

  • 1940-1961

Creator

Language of Materials

This material is in English

Physical Description

5 files and 30 plan files

Conditions Governing Access

Material relating to living individuals may be restricted under the Data Protection Act, 1998.

Extent

From the Sub-Fonds: 3.5 metres

Biographical / Historical

Prior to bombing during World War II, the adjacent boroughs of Stepney and Poplar, in London's East End, had suffered from urban blight in the forms of overcrowding, obsolescent buildings and lack of open space. 2000 acres were designated as a Comprehensive Development Area no 2 by London County Council. This was replanned as a series of eleven neighbourhoods in 1948-1949. Residential density was set at 136 persons per acre, for a planned population of 100,000 in total. Each neighbourhood had its own community, educational and shopping facilities. Industry was zoned along the canal and by the docks, a new road pattern established and large new public open spaces laid out. Neighbourhoods included Lansbury, which featured in the "Live Architecture" Exhibition, as part of the Festival of Britain in 1951, and the completely new neighbourhood of St Anne's, at Limehouse.

Physical Description

5 files and 30 plan files

Archivist's Note

None

Sarah Higgins 17 February 2004

Repository Details

Part of the Edinburgh University Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
University of Edinburgh Main Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44(1)131 650 8379