Skip to main content

Comprehensive Development Areas: South Bank, 1949-c1960

Identifier: PJM/LCC/E/4

Scope and Contents

Comprehensive development areas: South Bank consists of:

  1. planning correspondence and papers, (1954-1955)
  2. Festival of Britain 1951 competition - "Design a restaurant for the South Bank", (1949)
  3. drawings, (c1954)
  4. press clippings, (1953-1960)
  5. hotel site particulars, (1954)
  6. photographs, (1954-1961)
  7. South Bank Centre press pack, (1967)
  8. plans, (1950-c1960)


  • Creation: 1949-c1960


Language of Materials

This material is in English

Physical Description

7 files and 17 plan files

Conditions Governing Access

Material relating to living individuals may be restricted under the Data Protection Act, 1998.

Biographical / Historical

London County Council Comprehensive Development Area no 4: South Bank comprises: the area of the Thames riverbank between Vauxhall and Southwark Bridges in 5 sectors: Albert Embankment; St Thomas's Hospital Precinct; the Permanent Development Area, including County Hall; the area between Waterloo and Blackfriars Bridges; and the area between Blackfriars and Southwark Bridges (Bankside).

The Permanent Development Area, designed in 1949 included the temporary exhibition site that was used during the Festival of Britain (1951) The first of the permanent buildings was the Royal Festival Hall, by the London County Council Architect's Department (1951). The scheme was further amended in 1953 and 1957, during which time there were negotiations concerning proposed developments by Shell, Decca Records and the British European Airways. Later, Sir Robert Hogg Matthew was consultant architect for a proposed development by Acquila Investments, in 1960. The National Film Theatre, designed by Denys Lasdun, was opened in 1967.


From the Sub-Fonds: 3.5 metres

Physical Description

7 files and 17 plan files

Archivist's Note


Sarah Higgins 18 February 2004

Repository Details

Part of the University of Edinburgh Library Heritage Collections Repository

Centre for Research Collections
University of Edinburgh Main Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44(0)131 650 8379