Skip to main content

Committee Papers, 1962-1985

 Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/A
This consists of incomplete sets of papers for a variety of Committees, relevant to the development of the University of Edinburgh, in which Percy Johnson-Marshall participated:
  1. papers of the City of Edinburgh Working Party on Major Highway Planning, (1963-1983)
  2. papers of the University of Edinburgh Works and Buildings Committee, (1973-1985)
  3. papers of the University of Edinburgh Development Committee, (1962-1985)

Dates

  • 1962-1985

Creator

Language of Materials

This material is in English

Physical Description

3 boxes and 2 folders

Conditions Governing Access

Material relating to living individuals may be restricted under the Data Protection Act, 1998.

Extent

3 metres

Biographical / Historical

The City of Edinburgh's elected representative body, from 1900-1975 was the City of Edinburgh Corporation. This was succeeded in 1975 by Edinburgh District Council. In Scotland, decisions are, for the most part, delegated to specialist committees, which perform as sub-committees to the Full Council. This enables detailed consideration of complicated matters, which the Full Council would not have time to examine closely. Committee decisions have to be ratified by the Full Council. In addition working parties, consisting of non-elected experts and Council officials are frequently set up to report to the Council with advice on important but complicated issues. One such working party, the City of Edinburgh Working Party on Major Highway Planning (1963-1983), gathered information and formulated proposals concerning the city's, seemingly intractable roads problems.

The governing body of the University of Edinburgh is the University Court. Sub-committees of the Court are created to take responsibility for investigating and making recommendations to the Court on time-consuming issues. The Development Committee, constituted in 1954, as successor to the Post-war Development Committee, had responsibility for the physical development of the University. The Works and Buildings Committee was constituted in 1965, as a successor to the Major Buildings Committee, and had responsibility for individual building projects, dealing directly with the architects and user-group sub-committees.

Physical Description

3 boxes and 2 folders

Archivist's Note

None

Higgins, Sarah 04 June 2003

Repository Details

Part of the Edinburgh University Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
University of Edinburgh Main Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44(1)131 650 8379