Skip to main content

University of Edinburgh: Medical School extension, 1968-c1976

Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/9

Scope and Contents

University of Edinburgh Medical School extension consists of:

  1. architectural model and photographs of the model, (c1976)
  2. development reports, (c1976)
  3. plans, (1960-1965)
  4. construction photographs, (1968-1970)


  • Creation: 1968-c1976


Language of Materials

This material is in English

Physical Description

1 file, 3 plan files and 1 plan box

Conditions Governing Access

This material is unrestricted.

Biographical / Historical

The Walter Ramsay Architects won the prize competition for the University of Edinburgh Medical Extension for the entire north side of George Square in 1951. Work on the first phase, for pathology, commenced in 1956, to a design amended by Sir Basil Urwin Spence. The second phase, pharmacology, was built during 1968-1970. There was considerable delay before work commenced on the third phase in 1976. This was to house biochemistry and the medical library, with John Hardie Glover designing the library within Ramsay's building. The third phase, was completed in 1978, and named, the Hugh Robson Building after the former University Vice-chancellor who died in 1977, and Erskine Medical Library. Plans for further phases were shelved and the former George Watson's Ladies' College, which occupied the remainder of north George Square, was instead converted for the use of the Department of Psychology by Spence, Glover & Ferguson (1977-1978).


From the undefined: 3 metres