Skip to main content

Collection of Medals issued and presented by Edinburgh Veterinary Colleges and the Edinburgh Veterinary Medical Society (and Association), between 1843 and 1908

 Fonds
Identifier: Coll-1091

Scope and Contents

This is a collection of 16 silver and bronze medals which have been awarded by several colleges and societies for a variety of years/sessions, including:
  1. Edinburgh Veterinary College: and its medals awarded: 1843-44; 1853; 1856-57
  2. Royal (Dick) Veterinary College: its medals awarded: 1893-94; 1897-98; 1900; 1900-1901; 1901-1902
  3. New Veterinary College: medals awarded: 1881; 1896-97; 1902
  4. Edinburgh Veterinary Medical Society: awarded: 1882
  5. Edinburgh Veterinary Medical Association: 1893-94; 1901-1902
Detail on the medals, which all differ, includes: engraving; rings or loops for hanging; bi-convex form; and decoration such as coats-of-arms; horse heads, scrolls, floral framing, cockerel, and Androcles and the Lion.

The medals were awarded to: John Barlow; W.K.Barron; Peter Braid; E.J.Burndred; T.H.Carter; C.J.Christie; W.R.Davies; W.T.Dunstan; F.H.Leech; John Morris; John O.Peet; J.Robertson; T.Scotson; and, Tom Walker.

Dates

  • 1843-1908

Language of Materials

English

Biographical / Historical

The first Veterinary School in Edinburgh was founded by William Dick in 1823. Successful students at the School were presented with certificates from the Highland and Agricultural Society from 1828. In 1856, John Gamgee was appointed to the Veterinary School as an assistant to William Dick. Gamgee left the following year to open his own New Veterinary School in Edinburgh. The New Veterinary School moved to Bayswater, London, in 1865, where it became the Albert Veterinary College. It closed in 1868. A New Veterinary College was opened in Edinburgh by William Williams in 1873, but this too moved - to Liverpool in 1904 where it became the Veterinary School of the University of Liverpool.

Extent

16 medals contained in box

Physical Location

E2006.21
Title
Collection of Medals issued and presented by Edinburgh Veterinary Colleges and the Edinburgh Veterinary Medical Society (and Association), between 1843 and 1908

Repository Details

Part of the Edinburgh University Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
University of Edinburgh Main Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44(0)131 650 8379