Skip to main content

Edenhall Hospital

Identifier: LHB52

Scope and Contents

Patient, administrative, and staff records. Please note that records are not exhaustive, and mostly only cover 1950s and 1960s.


  • Creation: 1915-1965


Conditions Governing Access

Public access to these records is governed by the UK Data Protection Act 2018, the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 and the latest version of the Scottish Government Records Management: Health and Social Care Code of Practice (Scotland). Whilst some records may be accessed freely by researchers, the aforementioned legislation and guidelines mean that records containing sensitive information on named individuals may be closed to the public for a set time.

Where records contain information relating to named deceased adults, they will be open 75 years after the latest date in the record, on the next 01 January. Records containing sensitive information on individuals below 18 years (living or deceased) or adults not proven to be deceased will be open 100 years after the latest date in the record, on the next 01 January. Further information on legislation and guidelines covering medical records can be found on the LHSA webpage (

LHSA can support the use of records closed to public access for legitimate clinical, historical and genealogical research purposes. Please contact the LHSA Archivist for more details regarding procedures on how you can apply for permission to view closed records. Telephone us on: 0131 650 3392 or email us at

Conditions Governing Use

LHB52/4/1 is extremely fragile, and physical access to this item may be restricted. The entire album has been digitised, and can be viewed here:

Biographical / Historical

The original Edenhall Hospital was built in 1915 as a hostel for limbless ex-servicemen in the mansion house of Edenhall in Kelso. There was accommodation for 36 patients and the establishment was entirely run by eight voluntary lady workers. It was soon obvious that the accommodation was insufficient and in 1917 with the help of a £10,000 donation from the Red Cross the committee acquired the house and ground of Pinkieburn near Musselburgh.

Originally there were 43 beds but wings were added to the mansion house to increase the accommodation to 100 beds. In 1920, the Ministry of Pensions took over the running of the hospital and it was now opened to convalescent cases as well as the limbless; in the period up to the Second World War it then became the main Ministry of Pensions Hospital in Scotland providing general medical and surgical treatment for war pensioners. During the war the Hospital expanded considerably to provide a total bed strength of 312. By 1953 the number of patients was declining and on the amalgamation of the Ministry of Pensions and the Ministry of National Insurance the opportunity was taken to transfer the responsibility for running the hospital to the National Health Service.


1 linear metre


Edenhall Hospital
In Progress
Amy Cawood
Description rules
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Lothian Health Services Archive Repository

Centre for Research Collections
Edinburgh University Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44 (0)131 650 3392