Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Item — Box: CLX-A-388
Content Description This album dating from 1823 to 1857 contains accomplished drawings of landscape and town views across England and Scotland by the amateur artist Mary Boott. Most sketches are signed by her, dated, and inscribed with locations.Mary Boott (née Hardcastle) was married to American botanist Francis Boott (1792-1863) and would often accompany him on his field collecting trips, and while he went off looking for plant specimens she drew the landscapes they visited. The drawings are grouped in...
Content Description This collection comprises an artist's journal, a set of handmade CDs, and an artwork produced by Sonia Ali during her studies at the Edinburgh College of Art in 2013/14 (MA Art Space Nature). Artist's research journal/book: this research journal documents the artist's thinking and making process for a series of works in collaboration with University of Edinburgh – Evolutionary Biology Dept where she has worked...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-1592
Content Description This collection includes a printed book with two enclosures, printed ephemera, and two medals related to harpist Helen Patuffa Hood and her mother Marjory Kennedy-Fraser, Scottish musician and folk-song collector. The printed book is a signed copy of The Road to the Isles (Edinburgh: Robert Grant & Son, 1927) by Kenneth Macleod given by the author himself to Patuffa as...
Dates: 1889; 1925-1928; 1946
Collection of typescript and manuscript letters from Ian Hamilton Finlay to Joanne Soroka discussing tapestries
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-1261
Scope and Contents The tapestries referred to were shown at exhibitions, including the ICA in London. The correspondence illustrates the creative process behind some of the very few tapestries Ian Hamilton Finlay had made. The collection is composed of:- 18 x ts letters and 9 x ms letters from Ian Hamilton Finlay to Joanne Soroka discussing tapestries commissioned from Ivory Tapestries by Finlay, and written between 20 September 1989 and 7 September 1997 (one is undated).- 26 x carbon copies of letters...
Collection — Box: CLX-A-1727
Content Description The collection consists of seven manuscript books and one framed illustration created by Diane de Bournazel from 2015 to 2022. These handmade and unique books are filled with intricate densely-packed detail, which draw the eye and the mind into a dream-like world, in which she explores themes that include the natural world, childhood, and human relationships. Each work expresses a sweep of emotions while being imbued with a sense of the inner life. Bournazel uses drawing, painting, paper...
Scope and Contents The content of the Papers at shelfmark Gen. 273-286 include a manuscript volume of Gaelic songs, manuscripts and proofs of The songs of the Hebrides, papers relating to The Seal Woman, proofs of Life of Song, and newspaper cuttings. Correspondence at shelfmark Gen. 519-520 includes letters from various members of the Kennedy family in Italy to the family at home, 1879-1880, letters to Marjory...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-1593
Scope and Contents This collection consists of three autograph letters signed, sent from Fanny Kemble to Mary Lyell and Katherine Murray Lyell, dated 8 [March 1865], 16 April 1865 and 25 October 1885. There also is a small autograph envelope with wax seal, and a clipping from another autograph envelope.1. Letter from Fanny Kemble to Lady Mary Horner Lyell, in response to an invitation and concerning the American Civil War (London, Wednesday 8th [probably March 1865, though a pencil note...
Dates: 8 [March 1865]; 5 April 1865; 25 October 1885
- Artists 2
- Correspondence 2
- Folk music -- Scotland 2
- Folk songs, Scots 2
- women musicians 2
- Artists’ books 1
- Artworks 1
- Drawings. Visual works 1
- Edinburgh College of Art -- students 1
- Georgia (United States) 1
- Illustrations 1
- Landscape 1
- Medals 1
- Mural Painting and Decoration 1
- Mythology 1
- Planters 1
- Printed ephemera 1
- Programmes 1
- Scottish Gaelic language 1
- Sketchbooks & albums 1
- Slavery--United States 1
- Songs, Scottish Gaelic 1
- Tapestry 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1 ∧ less
- English 3
- English 2
- French 1
- No linguistic content; Not applicable 1
- Fraser, Marjory Kennedy-, 1857-1930 (singer, pianist, folk-song collector and arranger) 2
- Ali, Sonia, fl 2010s (artist; Edinburgh College of Art alumna) 1
- Boott, Mary, fl 1824-1857 (née Hardcastle | artist) 1
- Boughton, Alice, 1866-1943 (Photographer) 1
- Bournazel, Diane de, b 1956 (French book artist) 1
- Edinburgh College of Art (1907-:) 1
- Finlay, Ian Hamilton, 1925-2006 (Scottish poet, writer, artist, gardener) 1
- Guégant, Armelle, fl 2022 (Book binder) 1
- Hood, Helen Patuffa, 1889-1967 (harpist) 1
- Kemble, Frances Anne "Fanny", 1809-1893 (British actress) 1
- Lyell, Katherine Murray, 1817-1915 (nee Horner) 1
- Lyell, Lady Mary, 1808-1873 (nee Horner) 1
- Macleod, Kenneth, 1871-1955 (Church of Scotland minister and folklorist) 1
- Soroka, Joanne, b 1949 (artist) 1 ∧ less