Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Collection of correspondence from and relating to Hugh MacDiarmid and the publication of Stony Limits
Collection — Box: CLX-A-1594
Content Description This collection consists of correspondence between Hugh MacDiarmid, his publisher Victor Gollancz, and other interested parties concerning the publication of his poetry volume Stony Limits (1934). The correspondence largely concerns Gollancz’s fears that certain poems might expose the publisher to prosecution under libel, blasphemy, and obscenity legislation. Although he rigorously defended his verse, MacDiarmid was eventually persuaded to substitute the...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-1143
Content Description This contains notes, a postcard, and letters sent between Hamish Henderson and Dick Leith in the 1990s: Postcard showing Castle Tioram sent from Dick Leith to Hamish Henderson, dated 10th June ; Photocopy of text by Andrew Morrison on 'The Green Man of Knowledge', undated. 'The Green Man of Knowledge' was a folktale recorded from Geordie Stewart by Hamish Henderson in August 1924. ...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-373
Content Description Collection of 17 autograph letters signed (ALS), from Samuel Smiles (Scottish author and government reformer) to various correspondents, discussing literary and publishing matters, his works and lectures, and various business and financial matters. 29 November 1852: letter to Thomas Nunneley, one page, 4to., relating to 'the amount of compensation which was to be offered to representatives...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-1728
Content Description A full-length autograph manuscript (386 leaves) of R. M. Ballantyne’s Erling the Bold: A Tale of the Norse Sea-Kings, a novel of Viking life, inspired by Icelandic sagas. This is very much a working manuscript with alterations, clarifications and revisions to every aspect of the text including changes to characterisation, dialogue, narrative development and descriptive writing. From the evidence of this manuscript, this was Bannatyne’s first draft of the...
Scope and Contents The Maurice Lindsay Papers contain poetry notebooks; drafts, manuscripts and typescripts; radio scripts; incoming correspondence and some carbon replies; articles by Lindsay; C.M. Grieve manuscripts; and, outgoing correspondence. Within the Maurice Lindsay Papers are up to three boxes containing private and personal letters (dated 1943-46) between Lindsay and his future wife and which are not available for general study until after the deaths of the writer and recipient without their express...
Scope and Contents The Papers of Fred Urquhart contain drawings, diplomas, essays, stories, poems and early manuscripts; and, various notes, and typescripts. There are reports and correspondence from periods with Cassell, and J.M. Dent, and relating to work with other publishers and MGM and Walt Disney. The collection includes diaries and notebooks on H.E. Bates from the 1930s; and, address books and diaries covering several decades. There is correspondence with his parents between 1936-1965, and a great deal of...
Personal copies of David Douglas of "The Journal of Sir Walter Scott" (1890) and "Familiar Letters of Sir Walter Scott", extra-illustrated with correspondence
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-481
Scope and Contents This fonds consists of publisher and editor David Douglas' personal copies of The Journal of Sir Walter Scott (1890, vol. I and II) and Familiar Letters of Sir Walter Scott (1894, vol. I and II), extra-illustrated with correspondence.David Douglas, an Edinburgh publisher, oversaw the editing and publication of The Journal of Sir Walter Scott in 1890 and Familiar...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-1562
Scope and Contents This is a loose leaf manuscript by Annie Swan entitled "The Birken Trust", c. 1934.Comprising 516 manuscript pages on loose-leaf paper, this work constitutes a novel under the working title "The Birken Trust." It consists of 40 chapters, each individually paperclipped and paginated per chapter, with an average of 13 single-sided pages in Swan's handwriting. Minor corrections by Swan are present throughout the manuscript. Additionally, two typewritten sheets are clipped in, one continuing...
Dates: c 1934
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-390
Content Description This collection consists of two typescripts of Nigel Tranter's books Lord in Waiting (first published in 1994) and Price of a Princess (first published in 1994) on 20 x 25 cm paper bound by strings; two manuscripts of the same novels on small paper cards 10 x 16 cm, and two published copies of the books.1. Nigel Tranter, Price of a Princess, c 1994, Autograph manuscript & typescript of...
Dates: c 1994
- Scottish literature | 20th century 5
- Publishers and Publishing 3
- English literature | 20th century 2
- Printed books 2
- Scottish literature 2
- Scottish literature -- 19th century 2
- Scottish writers 2
- Authors and Publishers 1
- Ballinshoe Tower -- Kirriemuir -- Angus 1
- Blasphemy 1
- Broadcasters 1
- Correspondence 1
- Drafts. Documents 1
- Fiction 1
- Freedom of speech 1
- Gays' writings | 1
- Henderson, Hamish Scott, 1919-2002 -- Corespondence 1
- MacDiarmid, Hugh, 1892-1978 -- Correspondence 1
- Picture postcards 1
- Tales -- Scotland 1
- Vikings 1
- Women authors, Scottish 1
- women authors 1 ∧ less
- MacDiarmid, Hugh, 1892-1978 (Scottish poet) 2
- Bacon, J T, fl 1880s 1
- Ballantyne, Robert Michael, 1825-1894 (Scottish writer) 1
- Bonar, Horatius, Rev, 1808?1889 (Free Church of Scotland minister | hymn writer ) 1
- Burke, Bernard, fl 1860s 1
- Douglas, David, fl 1890-1894 (Edinburgh publisher and editor) 1
- Hayes, Thomas, fl 1870s 1
- Henderson, Hamish Scott, 1919-2002 (folklorist, poet, songwriter, soldier, intellectual) 1
- Leith, Dick, d 2011 (linguist) 1
- Lindsay, John Maurice, 1918-2009 (Scottish poet) 1
- Mason, Perry, fl 1880s 1
- Nunneley, Thomas, fl 1850s 1
- Partington, Earnest E, fl 1880s 1
- Scott, Sir Walter, 1771-1832 (novelist and poet) 1
- Sendamore, T J, fl 1860s 1
- Sharpe, Charles, fl 1870s 1
- Sillard, R M (fl 1890s) 1
- Smiles, Samuel, 1812-1904 (Scottish author and government reformer) 1
- Stewart, Mary, 1453-488 (Countess of Arran) 1
- Swan, Annie Shepherd, 1859-1943 (Scottish journalist and writer) 1
- Tranter, Nigel, 1909-2000 (Scottish writer) 1
- Turner, Fred A, fl 1890s 1
- Urquhart, Frederick Burrows, 1912-1995 1
- Victor Gollancz Ltd 1
- Watson, R S, fl 1880s 1
- Zimmern, Helen, 1846-1934 (writer) 1 ∧ less