Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Collection of correspondence from and relating to Hugh MacDiarmid and the publication of Stony Limits
Collection — Box: CLX-A-1594
Content Description This collection consists of correspondence between Hugh MacDiarmid, his publisher Victor Gollancz, and other interested parties concerning the publication of his poetry volume Stony Limits (1934). The correspondence largely concerns Gollancz’s fears that certain poems might expose the publisher to prosecution under libel, blasphemy, and obscenity legislation. Although he rigorously defended his verse, MacDiarmid was eventually persuaded to substitute the...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-1143
Content Description This contains notes, a postcards, letters sent between Hamish Henderson and Dick Leith in the 1990s: Postcard showing Castle Tioram sent from Dick Leith to Hamish Henderson, dated 10th June ; Photocopy of text by Andrew Morrison on 'The Green Man of Knowledge', undated. 'The Green Man of Knowledge' was a folktale recorded from Geordie Stewart by Hamish Henderson in August 1924. ...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-373
Content Description Collection of 17 autograph letters signed (ALS), from Samuel Smiles (Scottish author and government reformer) to various correspondents, discussing literary and publishing matters, his works and lectures, and various business and financial matters. 29 November 1852: letter to Thomas Nunneley, one page, 4to., relating to 'the amount of compensation which was to be offered to representatives...
Scope and Contents The Maurice Lindsay Papers contain poetry notebooks; drafts, manuscripts and typescripts; radio scripts; incoming correspondence and some carbon replies; articles by Lindsay; C.M. Grieve manuscripts; and, outgoing correspondence. Within the Maurice Lindsay Papers are up to three boxes containing private and personal letters (dated 1943-46) between Lindsay and his future wife and which are not available for general study until after the deaths of the writer and recipient without their express...
Scope and Contents The Papers of Fred Urquhart contain drawings, diplomas, essays, stories, poems and early manuscripts; and, various notes, and typescripts. There are reports and correspondence from periods with Cassell, and J.M. Dent, and relating to work with other publishers and MGM and Walt Disney. The collection includes diaries and notebooks on H.E. Bates from the 1930s; and, address books and diaries covering several decades. There is correspondence with his parents between 1936-1965, and a great deal of...
- Scottish literature | 20th century 3
- Correspondence 2
- English literature | 20th century 2
- Publishers and Publishing 2
- Scottish literature 2
- Authors and Publishers 1
- Blasphemy 1
- Broadcasters 1
- Freedom of speech 1
- Gays' writings | 1
- Picture postcards 1
- Tales -- Scotland 1 ∧ less
- MacDiarmid, Hugh, 1892-1978 (Scottish poet) 2
- Bacon, J T, fl 1880s 1
- Burke, Bernard, fl 1860s 1
- Hayes, Thomas, fl 1870s 1
- Henderson, Hamish Scott, 1919-2002 (folklorist, poet, songwriter, soldier, intellectual) 1
- Leith, Dick, d 2011 (linguist) 1
- Lindsay, John Maurice, 1918-2009 (Scottish poet) 1
- Mason, Perry, fl 1880s 1
- Nunneley, Thomas, fl 1850s 1
- Partington, Earnest E, fl 1880s 1
- Sendamore, T J, fl 1860s 1
- Sharpe, Charles, fl 1870s 1
- Sillard, R M (fl 1890s) 1
- Smiles, Samuel, 1812-1904 (Scottish author and government reformer) 1
- Turner, Fred A, fl 1890s 1
- Urquhart, Frederick Burrows, 1912-1995 1
- Victor Gollancz Ltd 1
- Watson, R S, fl 1880s 1
- Zimmern, Helen, 1846-1934 (writer) 1 ∧ less